UPDATE: 2/9/12- A new 2 car team onwed by former TRG investors will take over Red Bull Racing's Owner Points in 2012. Landon Cassill will drive the #83 with Doug Richert as crew chief. Travis Kvapil is linked to be the 2nd driver with details to be announced soon.

This means Trevor Bayne and Robby Gordon will have to qualify on speed (or race in during Duels) the first five races of the season.

#71 team not returning in 2012?: Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that the #71 TRG Motorsports NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team will not return in 2012. Sources close to the team say TRG will announce later this week that it has shuttered its NASCAR operation and will compete only on the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series in 2012. TRG finished 36th in Sprint Cup owner points last season, and would not have been a guaranteed starter for the season-opening Daytona 500. TRG Motorsports made a total of 106 starts since joining the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2009, with a pair of Top-10 finishes to its credit. Bobby Labonte claimed a 10th-place finish for the team at Talladega in the fall of 2009, while Mike Bliss finished ninth in the 2010 Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Team owner Kevin Buckler did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.(Sirius Speedway)
Jayski.com

Views: 11190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Roush transfers the #6 points to the #21 team would be great news, RGM would likely benefit from the RBR team closing. Having the #71 team closing makes it atleast a possibility ... We shall see soon...

You can't sell the points, however you can take your points and field them under a different number for a different team. What ever/if anything you charge said other team for you becoming an owner of one of their cars is the matter of those two private businesses.

It's kind of like the old (& maybe still around) two cars per owner rule. Mark Martin was listed as the owner of the #17 for years to get around that rule for example.

Per Andy Lally's Twiiter account: "I won't get into why I left the team, but I did know the Cup team was going away."

I thought Andy already said why he left the team? Something about paychecks not coming when they were supposed to come, or bouncing.

Many people have a hard time getting paid by TRG, not just drivers. They made their name and their $$$$'s in the road racing arena and they are going to concentrate their efforts on the road racing circuits. Best of luck to TRG.

The 6 will be running the Daytona 500, driven by Ricky Stenhouse Jr.

link

Yep! Roush will run Ricky in the #6 at Daytona. As of today, the Daytona 500 is the only scheduled race for the #6 team.

So if you look at the points up in the air:

#4 team points to the #55 (Mark Martin) team at MWR
#6 team points will be used for the Daytona 500
#33 team points owned by RCR - To be determined. (If used then RGM will have to qualify in, if not used RGM will be locked inside the Top 35)
#83 team points - gone will allow the #21 team to advance into the Top 35

TRG OWNER COMMENTS: Buckler has suspended operations of his #71 Ford, which carried Andy Lally to series' Rookie of the Year honors. TRG Motorsports made 106 starts from 2009-11 and scored two top-10 finishes. Buckler used 11 drivers in those three seasons, including 2000 Cup champion Bobby Labonte and former Truck Series champions Mike Skinner and Mike Bliss. "I want to be in Cup, but I want to be there with a proper program," Buckler said. "I don't think the way the economy is right now and the amount of money required right now that a single-car team can make it as a good program. I don't want to go without a good program." Buckler said he's putting his NASCAR aspirations "on hold" but hopes to return when he collects the right firepower. "I know what to do now," he said. "How many guys say, 'I'm going NASCAR racing,' then make it through the ranks and run Cup for three straight years? I feel very fortunate. I had some great partners that worked with me and backed me and we learned a lot. It was an expensive lesson that won't go wasted. If somebody showed up with a check and wanted to go NASCAR racing, we've got a program for them." And so Buckler's full attention has fallen back to GT road racing and his massive Porsche-based racing operation and extraordinary preparations needed to win the Rolex 24."My enthusiasm for road racing has never waned," he said. "TRG Motorsports is still alive and well. We will continue to look for the right Cup opportunity and right partner. When that happens, we're back in NASCAR."(Daytona Beach News Journal)

"We will continue to look for the right Cup opportunity and right partner. When that happens, we're back in NASCAR."
meaning- when I find someone else to spend their money on my dream (just my thoughts)

Jim Utter is reporting that a group of 4 investors have bought the assets of both RedBull & TRG. No idea if they plan on running 3 cars or 2 or 1 car but one would guess they'd show up with 3 cars to Daytona which should pretty much put the end to any speculation of the RGM #7 somehow being able to get locked in on owner points.

those four investors probably made a lot of money with bernie maddoff before he went to prison,there looking for a ten
million a year tax rite off

There was never a chance that a top 35 spot was going to trickle down to Robby. This message string has been nothing but pie in the sky from the start.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service