UPDATE: 2/9/12- A new 2 car team onwed by former TRG investors will take over Red Bull Racing's Owner Points in 2012. Landon Cassill will drive the #83 with Doug Richert as crew chief. Travis Kvapil is linked to be the 2nd driver with details to be announced soon.

This means Trevor Bayne and Robby Gordon will have to qualify on speed (or race in during Duels) the first five races of the season.

#71 team not returning in 2012?: Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that the #71 TRG Motorsports NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team will not return in 2012. Sources close to the team say TRG will announce later this week that it has shuttered its NASCAR operation and will compete only on the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series in 2012. TRG finished 36th in Sprint Cup owner points last season, and would not have been a guaranteed starter for the season-opening Daytona 500. TRG Motorsports made a total of 106 starts since joining the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2009, with a pair of Top-10 finishes to its credit. Bobby Labonte claimed a 10th-place finish for the team at Talladega in the fall of 2009, while Mike Bliss finished ninth in the 2010 Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Team owner Kevin Buckler did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.(Sirius Speedway)
Jayski.com

Views: 11190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tony has the champions provisional

Understand guys that today is different than in the past. Even teams like RCR & Roush won't run the 500 without sponsorship. Teams across the board have scaled back a ton over the past 2 years. Listen to interviews and daily shows and you'll hear straight from the top teams that sponsorship is very slim.

MWR will buy into Red Bull Racing through his partners. MWR has interest in some of their equipment and the points for Bowyer. (He doesn't want to see 5-Hour Energy missing the Daytona 500). His partner has interest in the RBR building. That deal will happen. It's doubtful Nascar will allow MWR to have both points (#4 and #83 team). That will move the #21 team into the Top 35.

Next would be RGM, meaning Roush or RCR would have to not run the #6 or #33 cars. RCR is more likely to piece together a deal for Daytona than Roush would. Roush is still searching for sponsorship for Kennseth. Both RCR and Roush have said at this point they don't see running 4 teams at Daytona. We only need one to not show up. Chances are better for RGM than they were with the #71 team closing shop.

As for Danica, like many have said They don't need the points. Tony can use a Past Champions Provisional and Danica can use Tony's points from last year...1st

Roush & RCR unloaded T35 points two years ago, and I don't think there is anything to stop RBR from becoming a "partner" (you can't openly sell owner points) with MWR, as the new team would only grow to 4 cars.

Getting up to 10 plate cars ready for Daytona might be too much for Mikey's team though...

Last I checked, Robby was 34th in 2011. What gives? This should not even be an issue, why isn't he already locked in? Can someone please explain to me. Thanks,

you are looking at drivers points. They lock in owners points.

MWR is buying Red Bull cars, equipment, shaker rig etc and one set of Owner Points for Mark Martin to be locked into the Daytona 500 field...Bowyer is using David Reutimann's points. It remains to be seen if MWR will buy the other set of points to put Mikey in a 4th entry.

As for Danica, as Norman said, Tony will simply transfer his top 35 staus to her and "qualify" on time for the first 5 races with his untrumpable PCP, hence he is de facto locked in and Danica Darling doesn't miss the show. This is similar to the Penske Busch to Hornish transfer a few years back except Sam is nowhere near as hot as Danica nor waxes..LMAO.

That leaves 3 cars, the 33 of Bowyer (I would think Childress would at least use them to run a 4th car for the 500), A Red Bull car (which MWR may or may not buy), the #6 (where I think Rousch would also at least run a car for the 500 given the payout). With the 71 not returning, RGM would need 2 of the 3 above not to be used, which is HIGHLY unlikely. Perhaps one set, which is doubtful in and of itself, but the 21 is in the catbird seat for that if it happens.

Robby will most certainly have to race his way in...unless he pleasantly surprises us and puts up a top 3 GOGH qualifying time on the 19th :)

But let's focus on getting back that time lost today at Dakar and make it a 1-2 Hummer Podium!!!

@John, Top 35 teams are locked in. Robby was 34th in Driver points but the #7 was P38 in Owner Points.

#21 will likely get the #6 owner points like they got the #19 ones for 2011 & if not from the #6 then from the #71.

What's the status of Robbys relationship with Childress? Possible for RGM to get the #33 points?

don,t forget austin dillon #33 possibly the 87 and reuitiman are both toyotas

Count boost Too much still to happen before NAZ................nascar (I've been warned by corp. to tone down) too much still to happen. From what I hear a few teams are putting the points on EBAY. Nobody is going to let their crackers go stale. I mean point sliding is never going to happen not when NAZICAR is so cash oriented. OOOPPSs

you shouldn't be able to sell transfer points. THE END

Welcome to Na$crap racing!

No kidding

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service