UPDATE: 2/9/12- A new 2 car team onwed by former TRG investors will take over Red Bull Racing's Owner Points in 2012. Landon Cassill will drive the #83 with Doug Richert as crew chief. Travis Kvapil is linked to be the 2nd driver with details to be announced soon.

This means Trevor Bayne and Robby Gordon will have to qualify on speed (or race in during Duels) the first five races of the season.

#71 team not returning in 2012?: Sirius XM NASCAR Radio's Sirius Speedway with Dave Moody has learned that the #71 TRG Motorsports NASCAR Sprint Cup Series team will not return in 2012. Sources close to the team say TRG will announce later this week that it has shuttered its NASCAR operation and will compete only on the Grand Am Rolex Sports Car Series in 2012. TRG finished 36th in Sprint Cup owner points last season, and would not have been a guaranteed starter for the season-opening Daytona 500. TRG Motorsports made a total of 106 starts since joining the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series in 2009, with a pair of Top-10 finishes to its credit. Bobby Labonte claimed a 10th-place finish for the team at Talladega in the fall of 2009, while Mike Bliss finished ninth in the 2010 Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. Team owner Kevin Buckler did not immediately return a call seeking comment today.(Sirius Speedway)
Jayski.com

Views: 11190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Let's hope so. Pressure = off not having to race in.

4 Top 35 teams closed: Red Bull #4, Red Bull #83, RCR #33 and Roush #6. 
MWR is attempting to buy into RBR and gain points for Bowyer. No word if RCR or Roush plan to attempt the Dautona 500. The #21 team would move up first, then RGM if RCR or Roush doesn't use the points.

I don't see the big teams just letting those guaranteed spots go to waste. They'd be stupid to, with a guaranteed spot worth a minimum of $500K over those 1st 5 races.

Agreed, we won't know if Robby is locked in until all the money has changed hands.

well MWR is gonna buy the points form Red Bull last i heard

He was going to but RedBull turned him down. Supposedly there is another investor who wants to buy the RB points as well as the TRG points but no idea if that is going to happen.

NASCAR sucks any way, back to stage 5 and watch them both charge to the front...We know it can be done.

This will help pay a few bills.
Like 1/4 mill to start Daytona.

This does not suprise me with TRG, now it makes me wonder if Andy Lally's checks cleared, also does not suprise me that Lally left the team before the last race. Red Bull, TRG, many good workers with families left on the side lines, just makes me admire what RG is trying to do even more. As far as the top 35, I would say that Tony Stewart will buy the points for Danica to start the 500.

Tony will give Danica his points and go into the 500 with the champions provisional. All other folding teams will sell their points . Sadly Robby will not be getting a guaranteed starting spot.

when the first Twin 150 rolls off the grid , thats went I'll believe the 2011 owner points thing

As Brett said NOBODY in the top 35 is going to let their top 35 status go for free...and certainly Stewart is looking to buy points for Danica, just like Mikey is buying points for Boyer.

Robby will be racing in. I don't think he will be looking for a "fake" merger deal.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service