My 4 year old son Dylan has been hounding me to get him a dirtbike. After all, he and his 8 year sister Madison have basically spent their summers camping at one track or another, and their grandpa (my father-in-law) has had his own track at his farm since they can remember, my son expressed an interest in riding. So we went out and bought him a used PW 50 a couple weeks ago.

The weather here in Minnesota has been rather fickle for spring (it snowed 4-6 inches here earlier this week) so until yesterday we didn't have good riding conditions. But Friday conditions were right, I didn't have to work, and I thought it was time. So we brought him out to the farm and let him sit on the bike again and watch his grandpa and I ride the track. We figured that would encourage him to want to ride around the yard. So wrong on that. Apparently he lost his nerve. While getting the trailer loaded for his race weekend we thought that if I brought the bike home and let his sister ride it that would light a fire under him to ride.

Madison has never expressed any sort of interest in riding but we figured that she could ride it. So when she got home from school I asked if she wanted to get on it. Yep... and after explaining a little bit of the basics to her she was off and riding. She's a natural. We couldn't get her off the bike. Even so, Dylan still didn't act like he wanted to ride...

I think I am going to have to break down and get him training wheels. Really didn't want to do it since he is so good on his pedal pusher but apparently I gotta build his confidence a little. Likely he'll only use them for a couple days. But now I have another problem... I gotta find a bike for her :)

Now we just have to get him to ride it

Pink skirt and all.. we made her change to pants later

Views: 502

Replies to This Discussion

Nice, Mike.

When I rode the 39 Harley up and down skinner hollow road Gowanda NY at age 12 I had the background of minibikes.......Don't see many traditional minibikes around anymore . If it don't cost 800 bucks or more it aint nothin........."Here rebuild this clutch or you don't ride"...........you learn quick....springs and things and grease by the time I was 5 ........memory lane is a bitch. Nice to see the young ones tearing the turf up..........without the cops

I remember those days! I started with a an old Honda w/ no motor (we used a rock back in those days). Coasted down a giant hill. Then got the $10.00 mini bike! I don't think a mile went by without the chain falling off!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service