NASCAR suspends Sprint Cup driver under terms of drug policy

By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Saturday, May. 09, 2009
NASCAR has suspended a Sprint Cup driver under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday nightís race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, ThatsRacin.com and The Charlotte Observer have learned.

Sources said the driver, who has not been identified by officials, was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekendís race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday declined to discuss the matter, saying that questions would be dealt with in a news conference at the South Carolina track on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Such a suspension would be the first under NASCARís drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Spring Cup Series.

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow....great call....
Wonder if Robby likes "All Sport"?
Always felt he was an idiot, did not know how stupid he was too
I wish him luck with his problem. Sadly it's probably the of his race team. I don't know if any here is a fan of the group saving abel. But their new music video for the song "Drowing (Face Down)" was all about mayfield and his career. If you google the lyrics to the song, i think they fit his life right now.

I also like NASCAR's drug policy compared to baseball. No BS hearings or anything, you get caught, you're gone
Love Saving Abel. I haven't seen the new video, but I heard it was going to be about him and they were filming it.
No players union in Na$crap!
The official release from NASCAR...

Driver, Two Crew Members Suspended Due To Violation Of NASCAR Substance Abuse Policy

Jeremy Mayfield, driver of the No. 41 car in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, Tony Martin, a licensed crew member with the No. 34 team in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Ben Williams, a licensed crew member with the No. 16 team in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, have been indefinitely suspended from NASCAR for violating the sanctioning body’s substance abuse policy.

All three were found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)
and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.
Wow you beat me by just a few seconds! But you have better details then my post LOL!
I'm not sure but on Sirius radio I think they had also mentioned that a crew member for the #16 Nationwide Team also failed the random drug teat last week. I just heard a small clip and they did not say which crew member.
NASCAR said he is suspended as a driver and an owner. I thought that was interesting. So now is team is basically done.
http://www.racingone.com/article.aspx?artnum=49183

NASCAR Suspends Mayfield

Jeff Wackerlin
Managing Editor Posted Saturday, May 9, 2009

NASCAR received Mayfield's results today at 12 noon.

DARLINGTON, S.C. - NASCAR announced on Saturday that they have indefinitely suspended Sprint Cup Series driver Jeremy Mayfield along with two other crew members in the garage after they were found in violation of the substance abuse policy.

Mayfield, who attempted to qualify the Southern 500 on Friday evening, was suspended after NASCAR received the results today at 12 Noon. This is the first time a Sprint Cup Series driver has tested positive.

The tests were administered last weekend at Richmond where Mayfield finished 35th.

Also suspended were Tony Martin, a licensed crew member for the No. 34 Sprint Cup team, and Ben Williams, a licensed crew member for the No. 16 Nationwide team.

All three were found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book.

The Southern 500 was the sixth race in 2009 that Mayfield failed to qualify for. Since Mayfield owns the No. 41 car he drives he is also suspended from participating as an owner. If the No. 41 plans to be back on the track it will need to be listed under a new owner.
Good Mayfeild is a dikkkkkkkkkkk /problem child ha ha ha ha ah

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service