NASCAR suspends Sprint Cup driver under terms of drug policy

By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Saturday, May. 09, 2009
NASCAR has suspended a Sprint Cup driver under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday nightís race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, ThatsRacin.com and The Charlotte Observer have learned.

Sources said the driver, who has not been identified by officials, was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekendís race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday declined to discuss the matter, saying that questions would be dealt with in a news conference at the South Carolina track on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Such a suspension would be the first under NASCARís drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Spring Cup Series.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly, if he is jerking our chain he is the P.T. Barnum of Meth Heads! (which is a possibility I will still say)
It was awsome today on the Jim Rome Show (radio). Rome tabed Mayfield as Jeremy Methfield and laid out the reports that he recieved concerning his situation. A lot of the emailers and callers threw blasts of Mayfield and Nascar as whitetrash and so what more should we expect more from these parties. Looking back three months ago I would have never thought that Mayfield would be an acussed tweaker by Nascar. I thought that it was unfair how Ray Evernham was quick to through Mayfield under the bus for exposeing his perversion with a twentysomething Erin Crocker, I mean the next Danica (according to Ray). The new twist which turns this whole ordeal into an episode of Cops live from a trailerpark is the alleged report from Jeremy's stepmom that she witnessed him using meth over thirty times in the last seven years. Truly awsome being that I dwell from a California meth capital Bakersfield.
i thought it was fontana
I think Erin would be the "previous" Danika.
There's a 20 minute interview on the WBTV.com website where Jeremy tells much more of his side of the story. I recommend that anyone truly interested in this topic view the entire thing.
There's another 20 minutes of Jeremy talking at FOX Charlotte's website. If Jeremy really is guilty of taking meth, then he should be in line for an Oscar. Listen to his whole story, not just the sound-bites that the NASCAR media wants you to hear.
you're right..he does make a compelling argument. Still don't like the guy after his dumb-ass antics following RG's incident with Biffle at Loudon.
Thanks for the link Alan. I gotta admit, i am on the fence on this one.
That's a great interview and he does have me convinced at this point. It sounds like he's got his ducks in a row (backup tests and film crews) and is looks to be building a very good case for his innosense. If he is telling the truth this could be the end of NASCAR. The only thing that really jumped out at me, that made me question him, was the fact that he waited for 2 years and for his stepmom to file this affidavit before he filed a wrongful death lawsuit against her...that seems to be a little odd. Did she have something on him that was keeping him quiet about his dad's death?...maybe its me, but that looks a little odd.
No, no, no, no no!!!! check my posts on page 28 and 29 explaining why you would wait almost 2 years to file this suit (I am assuming the state where this happened has a 2 yr SOL on wrongful death suits. I am 99% positive it does).. Par for the course actually.... You cant file a suit without providing a basis in your complaint (i.e. your alleged proof) for doing so. It would be thrown out. It could take months to years for the proper facts to come to light to bring a suit like this.
I hear you! The SOL on Wrongful Death is 2 yrs in NC...Dad died in Sept of 2007. This would be a Civil Lawsuit...not Criminal...I wouldn't think there is a time limit if the authorities every wanted to reopen the case. He's just suing her for Wrongful Death. I just think that the timing is a little odd...like they don't have the evidence that they need against her, but he threw it out there just to discredit her. Whatever happens, either way, it will make a great movie in a few years.
NO STATE has a time limit (SOL) on first degree murder. Some states have SOL on 2nd degree, manslaughter, etc. (granted they tend to be more in the 5-10 year range on these).

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service