NASCAR suspends Sprint Cup driver under terms of drug policy

By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Saturday, May. 09, 2009
NASCAR has suspended a Sprint Cup driver under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday nightís race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, ThatsRacin.com and The Charlotte Observer have learned.

Sources said the driver, who has not been identified by officials, was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekendís race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday declined to discuss the matter, saying that questions would be dealt with in a news conference at the South Carolina track on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Such a suspension would be the first under NASCARís drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Spring Cup Series.

Views: 242

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep. empty pockets, pat down (gotta check for a wizzinator), secure bathroom, seal and sign. But maybe it would be better if Brian France watched. Oops, slipped, sorry Brian!
be even better if brian france was the target
It's easy to get caught up in all the little details and nuances of this case...it's truly fascinating....but the big picture issue is this:

At stake, is Nascar's abilitly to effectively and with integrity govern and administrate their own sport and drug testing policy.The lines were drawn after the initial "positive" test back before Richmond. Nascar came out and unequivocally stated, via the very doctor they hired to run and govern their drug testing program, that it was IMPOSSIBLE for a false positive to come from Mayfield taking a combination of prescription adderall and OTC Claritin D. Let me repeat...IMPOSSIBLE.

Everything that has transpired on from that point in time is now the direct result of those lines being drawn. There is no going back. Before that statement, Nascar could have investigated Mayfield's claims and if proven true it was a false positive, saved face and made the necessary changes to their policy. That time has passed. What is the public perception, NOW, if Nascar comes forward and admits they aere wrong? Pretty bad...huh?

Is it possible Mayfield has us all fooled? Sure, maybe...but it defies logic (to me) that someone who knows they are going to be tested again would continue to do the drug they are being tested for...no? (unless they are the huge addict that Nascar seems to be claiming Mayfield is and just cannot kick the stuff) And if half of what Mayfield alleges he has on video is properly documented and true, he very well may have Nascar bent over on this one.

Neither side at this point can afford to lose...and when things are desparate, people/businesses do desparate things. I wouldn't put it past either side to do whatever it takes to win this case..including falsifying a second test, paying or getting a crazy stepmom to sign an affidavit, or perhaps faking video and your own tests to show you are clean.

However, my gut tells me this. When Nascar got the initial positive test back before Richmond, they reacted appropriately in suspending him for that race. However, instead of working with Mayfield when offered a plausible explanation, they took a hard stance and pariahed him and tried to make an example of him....

it appears that move has backfired...
Yes it has. The 'public' is not completely stupid. We've had it proven to us many many times that the press is not entirely believable, and Nascar using it's own press outlets to substantiate their position certainly is raising more questions with the public. Nascar's 'iron fist' is obviously keeping the folks in the garage very quiet, and the public can see that very clearly. Nascar blew this one, they know it, and they've been in the damage control mode for weeks. Personally, I'm tired of their drama and bullshit. I enjoy racing because of racing, I don't care about all of this off-track crap. I don't care about Kenseth's nursery, or Newman's dogs, or Jeffy's wifey, or Mr. Hendrick's business dealings. There's better racing going on at the go-kart track around the corner, and it's alot more fun than Nascar's soap opera.
Exactly. Very well said.

I think I said this a month or so ago, the best that could happen for everyone is for NASCAR to make a big payment to Mayfield for him to just go away and shut up. No admission of wrongdoing on either side, it's just swept under the rug.
Thank you, and my gut may be wrong and Mayfield could be the P.T. Barnum of methamphetamine users...lol.
But at this point this is two trains on the same track heading at each other at high speed....
it will be a specatcular wreck to watch.

Alan. I totally agreed with your payoff idea back then....but now at this point I think a payoff would still look bad for Nascar...and if your Jeremy, a payoff offer means you probably have Nascar by the balls....and sometimes it is fun to cut off your nose to spite your face to prove you are right :)
i wish that would happen to. However, i think Mayfield is not going to go away that easy. He has said he will take this all the way.
JB7 you nailed this one. This is what I have been trying to explain to people when they ask what motive would NASCAR have in doing this to Mayfield. NASCAR never planned on using Mayfield as an example, but when they came out with their statement and said NASCAR's Dr. Black, his lab and test program does not make mistakes, and the results are 100% correct. That is when NASCAR has to make sure Mayfield is going to be shown guilty no matter what. Because if he is found innocent in all this how does this make NASCAR and their doctors and testing policies look? Not only that but if Mayfield does win this case, how much is this going to financially cost NASCAR? If Mayfield can prove that he cant race anymore because of this and that his name is worthless to a sponsor or team, he could be given hundreds of millions by a jury. Then how much money could this cost NASCAR in the perception the general public will have on NASCAR and what about all those companies that are contracted to be the Official "______" of NASCAR? Those companies could use this as a reason to pull out of NASCAR. And in this economic climate there are companies always looking at ways to get out of contracts or to cut their budget.

For NASCAR if Mayfield is found innocent this could cost them hundreds of millions in the long term.

Also I have heard on Sirius and read where Mayfield has said he has been getting tested every 3-4 days by independent labs not listed on NASCAR's payroll, and so far every test has shown to be negative. How is it these 13-14 tests he has been getting are not showing what NASCAR's tests are showing? I cant believe another lab would jeopardize their reputation and business to falsify a test for Mayfield. Two places Mayfield stated he went to was Piedmont Urgent Care before NASCAR's test and another one actually at a hospital emergency room right after their test.

I dont think this is over by a long shot yet!
Any bets on this strategy? Nascar dumps the whole thing on Dr. Black and his lab, claims they (Nascar) are also the victim of Aegis' sloppy labwork, and apologi$e$ to Jeremy......
I would alter that slightly to read..."Nascar pays Dr. Black off to reiterate his findings of the initial positive test with the July 6th "positive" test, then Nascar scapegoats them as their exit strategy for admitting they were wrong. Aegis and Dr. Black are discredited and are ruined, Dr. Black sips umbrella drinks in the Caymen Islands the rest of his life.. lol

In analyizing all possible angles/end games of this case, I did think of this one, too. Very astute, Blues.
the mind can definitely think of some fanciful stuff depending on what part of what we have heard so far is true and what is not, that is for sure!
Ahh yes, that works for sure! And Jeremy ends up with enough cash to buy his own island. Brian France is forced to resign from Nascar, pot becomes legal, and Brian and Winston team up on a new agricultural business venture!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service