NASCAR suspends Sprint Cup driver under terms of drug policy

By Jim Utter - jutter@charlotteobserver.com
Saturday, May. 09, 2009
NASCAR has suspended a Sprint Cup driver under terms of its substance abuse policy - immediately and indefinitely - in advance of Saturday nightís race at Darlington (S.C.) Raceway, ThatsRacin.com and The Charlotte Observer have learned.

Sources said the driver, who has not been identified by officials, was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) and 7-5 (violation of the NASCAR substance abuse policy) of the 2009 NASCAR rule book. The determination was based on findings at last weekendís race at Richmond (Va.) International Raceway.

NASCAR on Saturday declined to discuss the matter, saying that questions would be dealt with in a news conference at the South Carolina track on Saturday at 6 p.m.

Such a suspension would be the first under NASCARís drug policies for a driver at the top level, the Spring Cup Series.

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

On the real. If crashing into people is a sign of meth-addiction then why hasn't Michael Waltrip OD'd yet?
HA HA! That's a good one!
This is from Craig Medical website. Now I don't know if they have their shit together or not, but their answer is interesting.
Q: What is the difference between Methamphetamine and Amphetamine?
A: Both amphetamine and methamphetamine are potent symphathominetic agents. Methamphetamine is the parent drug. It metabolizes (or changes) into amphetamine in the body. Methamphetamine and/or amphetamine are excreted in the urine. A positive result for Amphetamine can also be interpreted as a positive test for methamphetamine.

Now ERowid's website lists the following that can cause false positives [Note that the D in Claritin is listed]:
Ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, propylephedrine, phenylephrine, or desoxyephedrine (Nyquil, Contact, Sudafed, Allerest, Tavist-D, Dimetapp, etc) Phenegan-D, Robitussin Cold and Flu, Vicks Nyquil
Over-the-counter diet aids with phenylpropanolamine (Dexatrim, Accutrim)
Over-the-counter nasal sprays (Vicks inhaler, Afrin)
Asthma medications (Marax, Bronkaid tablets, Primatine Tablets)
Prescription medications (Amfepramone, Cathne, Etafediabe, Morazone,
...phendimetrazine, phenmetrazine, benzphetamine, fenfluramine, dexfenfluramine,
...dexdenfluramine,Redux, mephentermine, Mesocarb, methoxyphenamine, phentermine,
... amineptine, Pholedrine, hydroymethamphetamine, Dexedrine, amifepramone, clobenzorex,
...fenproyorex, mefenorex, fenelylline, Didrex, dextroamphetamine, methphenidate, Ritalin,
...pemoline, Cylert, selegiline, Deprenyl, Eldepryl, Famprofazone)
Kidney infection, kidney disease
Liver disease, diabetes
Anybody been a fan long enough to remember what NASCRAP did to Tim Richmond? In that case, they were certainly trying to discriminate against him because of his condition. Now I'm not saying NASCRAP is out to get JM, but there is ample precedent that NASCRAP can and will make it very difficult for JM to ever earn a decent living in the industry. Ironically, the convicted felon, pardoned by an impeached President, is welcome at NASCRAPs head table -- talk about hypocrisy. (For those of you lost, that's convicted felon Rick Hendrick, who was pardoned by Slick Willy).
I remember the Tim Richmond years very well. That was such a tricky situation, and I suggest reading Mr David Pooles book on Tim Richmond.It really cleared up a few things.
SC, is my memory correct when I say I don't recall much of anything from Nascar when Moroso died? It was almost like they read it in the paper, commented amoong themselves and that was it. I just don't remember any big deal being made of the circumstances, except that it was a very sad tragedy.
Could you be a bit more cryptic?

What's up?
Care to elaborate?
Martin Truex Jr. is such a little prick. He acts so high and mighty like he's God's gift to stock-car racing but he's worse than mediocre
sounds like typical Nascar fan BS to me...
Looks like Nascar has appealed the ruling. The saga continues......
I just want to know who in their right mind would ever booty bump a drug...LMAO!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service