Major penalty coming for the #38? bleeder valves found on the tires

Read this over at jayski's.  It sounds like the #38 could have a 200 point $200,000 penalty coming and could put Robby back in the Top 35!!!

Illegal bleeder valves on the #38 at Pocono? Sources tell Sirius that NASCAR discovered clandestine [secrecy or concealed] air pressure bleeder valves on the tires of Travis Kvapil's #38 Front Row Motorsports Ford Sunday at Pocono Raceway. Following the rain delay, NASCAR officials reportedly observed two soft tires on the rear of Kvapil's car and held him from rolling back onto the track for the start of the race. Closer examination of those tire and wheel assemblies allegedly revealed illegal bleeder valves, which purge excess air pressure from the tires as it accumulates under race conditions. If confirmed, the team would likely face a major NASCAR penalty, since tires are considered to be one of the sanctions "untouchable" items, along with engines and fuel.(Sirius Speedway)(6-8-2010)

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The crew chief who will get hammered is peter sospenzo who we all know had a brief employment with Rob. This is a guy who had some success at Hendrick and i was really excited when Rob hired him. For whatever reason, it just didn't work out.

Watch NASCAR fine the 38 team 83 points.
LoL...but lets say it would not suprise me!
Why would they do this to themselves? They were locked in. They never contended for the "win" They were way ahead of the 7 in owners points. Makes no sense, Stupid penalty. I get why Robby put braces in the side of the 7 given his rim riding, but tire bleeders? Dumb dumb dumb. Glad I am not a 38 fan. PlanetKvapil.com must be blowing up!
PlanetKvapil - Now that's a good one!
Yea, messing with anything tire related is a huge no-no. Teams used to drill small holes in the rims to allow the expanding "air" to escape the tire as it heated up, but Nascar really cracked down on that around the time Burton moved to RCR.

I think what is most sad about this is it highlights how overly sensitive the COT chassis is to spring rate. The tire is just like a spring on each corner of the car, and air pressure changes effect the spring rate. The COT is extremely sensitive to spring rates, and teams will stop at nothing to try and control it. Thats why the big teams spend millions on developing the material they use for bump stops. Yes the 38 cheated, but I assure you there are plenty of teams in the garage trying to control tire spring rate by illegal means; they just havent been caught yet.

Hopefully this bumps the 7 back into the top 35, but honestly with Robby's talent they shouldnt be back there in the first place. The COT has made it impossible for small teams to develop their own equipment. (Front Row - Roush, Furniture Row - RCR, Nemecheck - RBR &MWR, Prism - MWR)
Apparently EXTENZE works so well that you must use a pressure relief valve. Unforunetly for Kvapil, as the pressure was building rain interrupted the process causing the premature deflation.

RCR and Harvick tried this stunt a while back. They tricked out the rims. NASCAR told them not to bring them back again. There was no penalty or fine. Bob Dilner got the scoop and spilled the beans otherwise NASCAR was willing to sweep the whole mess under the rug.
I bet the team will appeal the penalty, and it takes a couple of weeks for the appeal to be heard. SO would team lose points now or after the appeal if they loose?
Robby lost the 100 points immediatly after Daytona afew tears back, he got the points back after the appeal.
yes, they take the points away ASAP.
I cried too when that happened.
If the NASCAR officials found devices that are unambiguously designed to bleed pressures, then any appeal would be futile, and would risk making the penalties even more severe. The only way an appeal would have even the slightest chance is if they can say, "Gee, these standard valve caps were accidentaly damaged to coincidentally work in such a way to regulate the tire pressure to be exactly what we want them to be. Sheer chance that we had two of them that happen to work exactly the same." I don't see that happening.
worded to perfection

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service