Major penalty coming for the #38? bleeder valves found on the tires

Read this over at jayski's.  It sounds like the #38 could have a 200 point $200,000 penalty coming and could put Robby back in the Top 35!!!

Illegal bleeder valves on the #38 at Pocono? Sources tell Sirius that NASCAR discovered clandestine [secrecy or concealed] air pressure bleeder valves on the tires of Travis Kvapil's #38 Front Row Motorsports Ford Sunday at Pocono Raceway. Following the rain delay, NASCAR officials reportedly observed two soft tires on the rear of Kvapil's car and held him from rolling back onto the track for the start of the race. Closer examination of those tire and wheel assemblies allegedly revealed illegal bleeder valves, which purge excess air pressure from the tires as it accumulates under race conditions. If confirmed, the team would likely face a major NASCAR penalty, since tires are considered to be one of the sanctions "untouchable" items, along with engines and fuel.(Sirius Speedway)(6-8-2010)

Views: 191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be here all week...
It doesn't suck. They were flat out cheating and got caught. You reap what you sow.
That sucks. Conway brought a check so he'll be safe and Travis as seniority because David didn't join the team until Fontana. Again, sucks if David and his team lose their jobs due to no fault of their own.
Left rear 15 PSI... right rear 31 PSI These are the numbers Goodyear set fourth for Minimum inflation for the Pocono race. Tech inspection was 26 front 36 rear. Now if these "bleeders" were designed to bleed out as pressure builds it seems strange they would bleed just sitting there. Chances are they were calibrated to set pressures they wanted to race at, pressures are pretty tight starting out to what you want in the end at the highest temp. the tires reach. I used to have a stat sheet on what the expansion numbers in cubic feet and pressures were for Nitrogen per degree in increase, at sea level and above and such for a piece I did on speedwaymedia.com a great while back. Since lost in a crash, not lookin' now.
I assume we all know it's Nitrogen and not "AIR" right. So Front Row (Doug Yates is listed as owner on jayski for the 38 not Jenkins) must have wanted a pretty low "racing pressure", not sure what NASCAR mandates as far as starting PSI based off what Goodyear recommends. I think a while back they pushed to have a certain number you had to be within when teams were blowing out right fronts, then came the harder tire , then came the complaints about traction, then came the complaints the tires were not "falling off" so we could race, and blah blah blah.....then came Matt Kenseth and his Hoosier remark about what the track was going to be like after the rain, did anyone catch that?
PENALTIES ON!!...i mean GAS ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are correct in the fact that the tires probably didn't bleed while they were sitting they, but they bled when they were out on the track because the air in the tires get HOT. When they sit on pit road for 30 mins or more the tires cool down and the pressures drop.

the equation is
PV=nRT

P=Pressure
T=Temp
As you see these are directly related. Hopefully this isn't too much info, just trying to give some more insight.
yup..lots of pace laps before they parked them for rain
I have some experience with bleeders ( they are legal on late models) and they ARE a very inconsistent tool to work with.Yes they can manfunction just setting. I said it yesterday, I'll say it again it's an easy way to beat yourself. In this case in many ways.
Has anything been released yet?
Nothing yet...
just a little nitrogen pressure...
I heard rumblings last week that FRM had ruffled the NASCAR feathers with yet another driver swap. If the penalty is as being rumored, it could be in part a message to Bob Jenkins to quit fracking around with NASCAR.
No, those rumblings were from my stomach after eating 8 tacos from Taco Bell...lol..

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service