Larry McReynolds preview Talladega (Robby Gordon mentioned)

Radio Show with Larry McReynolds

Larry McReynolds was on the radio as a guest previewing the Talladega race this weekend and was asked a few questions?

How crazy is it Jimmie Johnson could win his 4th straight title?
LM - It's hard to win a Cup championship, but to win 4 in a row just shows you how strong that 48 bunch is. Chad Knaus, Jimmie Johnson and the 48 team have set the bar and so far nobody else has been able to reach it. If you look at the NBA, NFL, MLB or college football even, I'm not sure I've heard of anybody winning 4 Championships ina row.

Kyle Busch is getting a new crew chief after winning 4 races, why?
LM - Nobody reads people better than Gibbs. They see something's not working latley and decided they need to go ahead and make a change. With the testing ban, you see teams making changes now instead of waiting til the season ends. RCR is making a change with the #31 crew chief. Robby Gordon made a change, which I think is a great addition for a team like Robby's. I talked to Doug and he's excited about this 7 team. RPM is running a Ford this weekend trying to prepare for next season. For teams not in The Chase, this is a live test session if you will for the upcoming Daytona race.

Talladega raised the fences. Is that going to change anything?
LM- The boys at Talladega Superspeedway have always been a step ahead in this sport. Their main goal is to keep the fans safe. They raised the fences 8 feet, even though the fences in place did it's job. When Brad Keselowski and Carl Edwards were racing those last laps, they turned speeds around 208 or 209. Nascar likes to keep them at the 200 mark or below. They will have a new restrictor plate this weekend that should help slow the cars down. You will see the differnce in qualifying. That again will just bunch the pack up even more. (laughing) So the Big One will definitely be looming.

So who's your pick this weekend?
It's hard to go outside that Hendrick stable, any of those drivers will be the favorites to win. Tony always runs well at Talladega, but I'd say nobody needs a win more than Dale Earnhardt and I'm sure he will definitely be Amped up this weekend (no pun intended).

So who's your dark horse, the Brad Keselowski?
LM - Well, Brad's not much of a dark horse since he's the last winner at this track, he would be my pick, but the guy I think that could go unnoticed all day and then out of nowhere be challenging for the win would be Robby Gordon. After doing so well last year I just have to think he's going to run well at one of these plate tracks and this is the last one. He runs Dale Jarrett's old strategy of riding around the back, staying out of trouble and then making that banzai run at the end.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just hope they get to practice it's gonna rain for three days...................
I said at the beginning of the year that Robby would win a plate race this year. I am not going to back out of that just because things haven't been going well lately.
I'd like to see Robby just make an early charge get up front for a few laps and then fall back, just to prove not only to himself and the crew but to the rest of the cars out there that he is strong and some can maybe work with him.
Robby said his plate car was "garbage" at the last rp race and that "they would be building a new one". So they are going into this race with a car that has seen no track time. A little too optimistic to be calling for a win don't you think?
Yeah the car that they ran so well with last year, was in the wreck at Talladega in the spring. So, like someone said, if they built a new car like RG wanted them to, then hopefully this car is just as good, if not better, than the one that they wrecked earlier in the season. I think they will be fine, and I do not think they will win the race, but a solid top-10 effort is well in reach.
The new car isn't shabby... Ran 7 fastest in the draft during Happy Hour and his average speed is also near the top of the list. All we need is to be near the front at the close of the race with a strong car pushing and no wrecks with a few to go.
average speed doesnt mean much in plate practice. Most cars run real slow laps either to wait for a pack to catch up , or to drop in and out of packs . Average speeds are all over the place for all drivers.
Larry Mac was pretty dead on. Robby ran up front most of the day and took the lead a few times passing Jeff Gordon and others. Had Robby stayed out is hard to predict whether he would have had enough fuel or not. But if he had fuel and stayed out he would have had a strong chance to get his first win as a car owner.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service