Larry McReynolds preview Talladega (Robby Gordon mentioned)

Radio Show with Larry McReynolds

Larry McReynolds was on the radio as a guest previewing the Talladega race this weekend and was asked a few questions?

How crazy is it Jimmie Johnson could win his 4th straight title?
LM - It's hard to win a Cup championship, but to win 4 in a row just shows you how strong that 48 bunch is. Chad Knaus, Jimmie Johnson and the 48 team have set the bar and so far nobody else has been able to reach it. If you look at the NBA, NFL, MLB or college football even, I'm not sure I've heard of anybody winning 4 Championships ina row.

Kyle Busch is getting a new crew chief after winning 4 races, why?
LM - Nobody reads people better than Gibbs. They see something's not working latley and decided they need to go ahead and make a change. With the testing ban, you see teams making changes now instead of waiting til the season ends. RCR is making a change with the #31 crew chief. Robby Gordon made a change, which I think is a great addition for a team like Robby's. I talked to Doug and he's excited about this 7 team. RPM is running a Ford this weekend trying to prepare for next season. For teams not in The Chase, this is a live test session if you will for the upcoming Daytona race.

Talladega raised the fences. Is that going to change anything?
LM- The boys at Talladega Superspeedway have always been a step ahead in this sport. Their main goal is to keep the fans safe. They raised the fences 8 feet, even though the fences in place did it's job. When Brad Keselowski and Carl Edwards were racing those last laps, they turned speeds around 208 or 209. Nascar likes to keep them at the 200 mark or below. They will have a new restrictor plate this weekend that should help slow the cars down. You will see the differnce in qualifying. That again will just bunch the pack up even more. (laughing) So the Big One will definitely be looming.

So who's your pick this weekend?
It's hard to go outside that Hendrick stable, any of those drivers will be the favorites to win. Tony always runs well at Talladega, but I'd say nobody needs a win more than Dale Earnhardt and I'm sure he will definitely be Amped up this weekend (no pun intended).

So who's your dark horse, the Brad Keselowski?
LM - Well, Brad's not much of a dark horse since he's the last winner at this track, he would be my pick, but the guy I think that could go unnoticed all day and then out of nowhere be challenging for the win would be Robby Gordon. After doing so well last year I just have to think he's going to run well at one of these plate tracks and this is the last one. He runs Dale Jarrett's old strategy of riding around the back, staying out of trouble and then making that banzai run at the end.

Views: 39

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Larry Mac is drinking the COOLAID
Props to Larry Mac for picking Robby as the dark horse. Boy is he going to look like a genius on sunday.
I also drink kool-aid as long as its sugar free. Robby will need to get someone to push him to the front or Robby will need to push someone to the front, then pray he has enough speed to be able to go for it on his own the last lap and not get blocked.
What would it mean for the team for Robby to win with Doug as CC? I dont think he would even have a problem filling up sponsorship next year, would be a huge shot in the arm
I will say Robby had a GREAT shot at winning this fall Talladega race two years ago. He had a MAD fast car and was running 5th when Bobby Labonte inexplicably ran out of talent, got loose and came up the track and clipped his left rear quarterpanel with 44 to go.

He even led a bunch of laps early in that race by driving right to the front....that was a great car we had that day,,,
if i remember correct, Labonte didn't run out of talent.. He blew a tire.
I fail to see a distinction.

....just kidding.
What better weekend to add a 2nd team than this...put Gilliland in the #04 and have him push Robby to the front!
I like this idea... If the problem was always not having enough "friends at the end" build a 2nd car to have a friend!
No. There would be another car (thus the problem being addressed a long time ago). How many times at Talladega have you seen a car crash during practice or qualifying?
OK,
What does LM know that we don't?
I bought some Kool-Aid and drinking big time

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service