KAHNE OUT @ RPM. Team statement: Kasey Kahne has been released from his driving duties with Richard Petty Motorsports effective immediately. Aric Almirola will pilot the No. 9 Budweiser Ford Fusion in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event this weekend at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. Driver line-up beyond Martinsville is to be determined. MartySmithESPN via UberTwitter

Wonder what he will be doing this weekend?

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Meaning Roush takes possession of RPM as a two-car satellite operation with Petty as the listed owner/figurehead like Stewart/Haas is to HMS? I could see that.

I also think that Mark Martin is going to end up returning to Ford/Roush at some point in the future, either as an owner/driver or just as an owner.
Roush was the first to do this when he was connected to Yates Racing. Remember the VP of Roush bought into Yates and let everyone go and made them re-apply for their jobs at Roush wages and all inner office business was then moved over to Roush's offices. Yates was then moved into the in the building that RPM is now in. Doug Yates was then put in charge of just running the Yates/Roush Engine business like he still is now.

HMS partnering with Stewart/Haas was their way of following what Roush had already done.
So might Roush have some behind-the-scenes influence over what becomes of the Nos. 9 and 43, the contracts of Ambrose and Allmendinger, and the Stanley and Best Buy (and others) sponsorships? If all this stuff today is true, might Roush have a chance to hold RPM together?

This is my favorite part about NASCAR. The Silly Season stuff is way more entertaining than the current 'racing' product.
UPDATE 2: Multiple sources confirmed to SPEED.com on Thursday that Roush Fenway Racing, which builds RPM's cars, briefly repossessed RPM's Talladega cars and engines because of non-payment. Roush Fenway Racing allowed RPM to take the cars back Thursday morning, sources told SPEED.com. Additionally, sources said that one of the reasons Kahne was released from the team is that RPM owed him a substantial amount of back salary. A team spokesperson contacted Thursday afternoon declined to say whether or not Kahne was owed money, Roush Fenway Racing was owed money, when team owner George Gillett would publicly discuss his team's situation or what RPM's plans were beyond this weekend. "There's just nothing much to comment on right now," said Tiffany Breaux of Richard Petty Motorsports.Breaux did say that Kahne asked for his release from the team and the decision to split with RPM was “mutual.” Ford Motor Co. officials declined comment, saying it was an issue involving teams only and not the manufacturer. An RPM team source confirmed Thursday that the team is in a “state of turmoil” and that some team members have serious doubts about their futures – and their paychecks.

Gillett became embroiled recently in a dispute with John Henry, co-owner of Roush Fenway Racing. Henry, principal owner of the Boston Red Sox, bought the Liverpool, England, soccer team from Gillett and his business partner, Tom Hicks, but the sale has been tied up in a financial imbroglio. Repercussions from that dispute apparently played a role in the Roush Fenway Racing decision to put tighter reins on its affiliation with RPM.
(SPEED)(10-21-2010)
This is starting to sound like the Ginn debacle. I love these rich dudes who think they can just waltz into a situation without knowing the slighest thing about racing and succeed. I have lost count of how many times this has happened over the years.

I hate it for these crew members. 'Dinger and Ambrose will land on their feet, but it is rough out there.
@Keith, sounds like a REPO to me.
I'm so glad Robby had the good sense to terminate his "partnership" with Gilette. What a mess it would have been if the sale of RGM had gone through.
It had disaster written all over it, just like the BAM deal. This very easily could be RGM/GEM looking at this mess today.
Exactly what I thought when I hear about this mess...
Wow. How many teams/owners have folded, been swallowed up, gone bankrupt, etc. since 2005? And RGM is still in business. Just sayin'
I knew RPM was in trouble last season when Allmendinger said he was driving the 44 without a paycheck. That's never a good sign.
I know we all talk complain about RG and not growing fast enough... RG is a pretty good businessman, as a small business owner, I know how much time an effort it takes, and how hard it is to pull back when the environment for growth is not there. I think we all forget sometimes that RG is living within his means, this is something that our elected officials could learn from.... :) He is a slave to no one, he builds his own stuff and pays as he goes. Maybe this sheds a little light on why he does it all on his terms. I know for one that I am an even bigger fan of RG today as a businessman and a racer!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service