Join us for the Dakar Rally on Jan 9, 2009 , right here and chat about the action during the 7th stage.

Stage 7 - Friday, January 9

Mendoza (ARG) > Valparaiso (CHL)

Connection: 80 km | Special: 419 km | Connection: 317 km | Total: 816 km
The variety of terrains and landscapes, a constant given for the Dakar 2009, is evident once again on this stage, where, in addition to a change of country, most of the competitors will get to know the Cordillera of the Andes. Before measuring themselves with the mountains, they must cross over a series of dunes and endure a session of fesh fesh, which is identical to Saharan sand, but which the inhabitants of the region call “guadal”. Concerning the mountains, this will be the only special to include passageways at 3,000 meters on technical routes that will sometimes allow a glimpse of the Aconcagua, the highest point in the Andes (6,959 m). Then, competitors will cross the border on the link section to reach the sea at Valparaiso.

Views: 192

Replies to This Discussion

ok.. first two just took off to start the day.....
So, Al Wallawalllbingbongdingdong got DQ'd?
yup for missing 9 way points yesterday
exactley...you feel me.....
looks like the tracker is off to a nice slow start today.. arrrgh!!!
Robby's on course
What's the deal with the governing body shortening the last two stages? Are they trying to make sure enough vehicles make it to Chile?
I do have time waiting for the tracker to update to check it out.. I just figured that the toughest rally in the world would act a little, you know, tougher. I mean, it's not time to wave the white flag yet, even before the half way mark. I realize that the governing body must be under a little scrutany from cyclist Terry's death, but they do have the ability to shorten stages for just the bikes... BTW good morning from snowy and 5 degrees F southern Minnesota!!
Yep.....pretty NASCARish......The guys they want in front are...so they will modiffy the rules accordingly to keep them there. Isn't DAKAR supposed to be the ultimate test? Why all the shortening stuff? So if they can't cross the river, they can't cross the river....modify the route to get around the river and then race on.... I'd like to see them come out an say "Yeah, not only are you going to cross the river, but youtr going to have to drive 4 miles in the river"....MAn up.....
They are trying to keep the Hummers from making up too much time on the VW's..................lol
Good Morning all from Upstate NY. Sunny and 14 degrees. I understand that the route has been shortened. Any other updates I may have missed?
probably another 15 minutes i'm guessing for the cars to cross km91. took almost an hour for the first bike to cross km91

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service