Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 7 of the 2010 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat will also be available throughout the entire 2010 Dakar Rally.

STAGE 7: Iquigue > Antofagasta

Connection 37 km | Special Stage 600 km | Connection 4 km | Total 641 km

Course Overview

The longest special of the rally is also the most varied. When leaving Iquique, one always has regrets but the splendour of the landscapes will motivate the competitors just as much as the fun they will witness in the sand dunes they will have to swallow in the first part of the day. The ideal technique will be a lot harder to find when having to cross a salar, of around 3 kilometres. On this extent filled with huge blocks of dry salt, certainly never seen by most of the competitors, the speed will drop down to under 10 km/h! Once that's digested, the tracks heading to Antofagasta are, in majority, fast and open. The menu will be generous in terms of sand and kilometres. The rule book will allow the bikers and crews to reach the bivouac before 6:00 PM on the following day, during the rest day.

Views: 205

Replies to This Discussion

Heh, Heh, Heh...nice.
Love this!

Look at the sticker Aussie Dakar driver Bruce Garland put on ... on Twitpic

MarcosAmbrose http://twitpic.com/x5fhn - Look at the sticker Aussie Dakar driver Bruce Garland put on the back of Robby Gordon's truck!!
That's funny.
too bad they don't know the difference between 'back of truck' and 'door' LOL!
Let's see, the stage is about 400 miles and the Hummer carries 100 or so gallons of fuel....Hmmm.
Extra Metal gas can strapped on the back, like the old jeeps lol
Is this a stage that suits the Hummer well? I really hope it is so Robby can show them how it is done tomorrow and regain some of that lost time! I know Robby has sand the dunes are where the Hummer has its advantages, but so far, he has some problems whether it is belts or just getting stuck, but I just wasn't sure about stage 7's terrain and if it would cause Robby any problems.
I don't know why he's having problems getting stuck in sand dunes this year, I don't recall him having that difficulty last year.
I don't think there's sand dunes in this stage? Looks mostly rocky to me and there's a big variety (last year pics are on "my page" in an album to give you an idea), from pea-size gravel to something decorative rock size and bigger.
I'm hoping for a good stage, out of the big attitude. I didn't realize what a toll it takes on the body until I read up on it some. Man you have to be double-tuff for this stuff!
Competitors will be allowed to finish till 6.00pm of the restday (Saturday) Wow!!!. I think the organizers know thisis going to be a blood bath. I would hate to be a privateer in production class, it might just take them all that time to get big-wac.
Todays stage for Robby Gordon begins at 7:30 am/ eastern time. BJ Baldwin starts a few minutes earlier, and will no doubt stop and then wait to follow RG.. Why? Go to the Dakar 2010 tab on the main menu and then click the 2008 tab in the video player to stage 6 recap from the CER. Dont want to make the same mistake .
What kind of mpg does the hummer get? Would it improve in the "fast and open" sections?
Their off! Good Luck & Godspeed RG &BJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RSS

Newest Members

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service