Join us for the Dakar Rally on Jan 7, 2009 , right here and chat about the action during the 5th stage.Robby begins the day 9th overall in the standings.

Stage 5 - Wednesday, January 7
Neuquen > San Rafael
Connection: 173 km | Special: 506 km | Connection: 84 km | Total: 763 km
The major test of the first week of the race will perhaps be fought on the road to San Rafael. The long distance will oblige teams to remain concentrated at all times. The pilots will also be confronted with real dune passageways, including a range nearly twenty kilometers long. Long off-road stretches will alternate with much more technical sections in the track following the “rios”. The Cordillera can be seen on the horizon, but taking time to sightsee is out of the question: a too-late arrival at the bivouac always leaves a mark.

Views: 414

Replies to This Discussion

Vigouroux reached the summit. Picked up 15 positions on the stage so far.
Man, this stage is brutal...especially from CP1 to the ASS. Only 42 of the 164 Motorcycles to start have finished. Only 11 of 145 Cars to start have finished (Chicherit crossed 32 minutes 15 seconds after Robby who was the 9th car to cross the ASS). None of the 21 Quads to start have made it (only 6 have made it to CP2), and none of the 68 Trucks to start have made it (only 13 have made it to CP2).
showing 466 POIRAULT (FRA) finishing first and now rob in 4th something not right said he finished in 3hr's
and has a 3hr penalty
that has to be an error! Its a production class (almost stock) landcrusier.
Still 3rd on other tracking?
becuase he's French...lol
yes they do. In the Africa Dakar there were stages where only the driver/rider could do work. Robby said in a prerace clip they basically will rebuild the entire hummer every 1000KM (everything but the engine block and chassis can be fixed as long as they make it to the end of each total stage within a prescribed amount of time)
There is one night in this dakar, where the assist vehichles will not be allowed. I dont remember which one, but they have to be careful on those days.
they are starting to fall apart

Carlos Sainz (Esp - VW) - 301

"I drove 200km without power steering. Driving in these conditions is pretty hard. And when the dunes started, it was even harder and I ended up rolling over."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stéphane Peterhansel (Fra - Mitsubishi) - 300

"We made a front somersault 15km from the arrival as we wanted to gain speed and climb up a big sand dune. At the bottom we did not see that there was camel grass and it made us roll over. It was a pretty violent hit. I think this is it because we drove the last kilometers without a radiator and the engine overheated. It was agony towards the end.
Unfortunately, I’m afraid the raid is over for us."
Does that mean Peterhansel is out? If so thats +1 for RG
I wouldn't count Peterhansel out until he doesn't make the start of the next stage or he is listed on the Withdrawals list.
Me either, but I see that 312 caught fire towards the end and "Breaking News" said:

"Frenchman Christian Lavieille and his Belgian co-pilot, Jean-Paul Forthomme have been forced to withdraw from the raid."

Not sure what the French translation of RAID is....

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service