Jan 6th, 2014 Dakar Rally Stage 2 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 2 of the 2014 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon had vapor lock issues during stage 1, and finds himself over 2 hours behind. The cars are scheduled to begin the 433km special section at 8:55am/et, Robby Gordon will probably begin the stage at 9:36am/et (Subject to change) Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2014 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat now works on the Ipad & Iphone.

2014 Stage 1 Photos

STAGE 2 TRACKING

STAGE 2: SAN LUIS > SAN RAFAEL

Connection 365km | Special Stage 433km | Total 798km

COURSE OVERVIEW

The fastest special stage of the rally, at least for its first part, will also be the one where drivers will have to face the first dunes. And it won’t just be a brief encounter with sand: in the last 100 kilometres, the exploration of the grey dunes of Nihuil will be even more intensive than during previous visits. The sand is more firm there, but the experience will provide a great deal of insight about each of the competitors’ technical skills. In short it will be a veritable test.

The GREEN section of the route is the connection , the RED is the Special Section of the stage.

Views: 55342

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what restrictor plate-this isn't NASCRAP

Could very well be the fuel, I know the shit they sell us in cali has ethanol and It starts going sour in just a few days if you try and store it.....How about a return line from the fuel rail to the fuel cell with a tiny restriction to just enough to bleed air yet keep the line pressure up??

yea that's I read other places when I was searching vapor lock that is was not just heat but could be caused by restriction at low temps.....

@FD, a stock LS7 is a dead head system,what's Carlos got?

Brazil is the largest exporter of ethanol in the world so very likely that it is in the fuel. That said, the boiling point of gasoline and ethanol is very similiar at ambient pressure so would make little difference. I would be more concerned with the lower btu output if it had a larger quanity of ethanol. As it is summer in South America I would be unconcerned about winter blend type additives.

@Karen, fair point.Put what ever fuel Carlos is put in.
You can buy non-oxygenated gas in the states.Full my tank today.
pure-gas.org

From Eric Vigoouroux facebook page, posted about 24 min ago:
"Always of the worries of "vapor lock" (gasoline which starts to boil) due to temperature extremely high such that we don't in had ever encountered in our tests. The altitude is also an aggravating factor. Guerlain and Alex end despite all 23 th while BJ arrived much later. The technical team is working to hard feet to find a solution for the future. It believes and remain combative even if the prospect of a good final result is seriously far away..." (Translated by Bing)

Bleed line....and insulate the lines..Problem solved

A higher altitude lowers boiling point.

just throwing out ideas.
pasted from the Fuelab website
The most common failure of high flow fuel systems is cavitation, or “vapor-lock”. The combination of too much heat or too much inlet restriction can create this operating condition, where the liquid fuel literally vaporizes (boils) inside the pump assembly. Symptoms of this operating condition may include one or more of the following:
• Dramatic loss of flow rate
• “Gauge Bouncing”
• Ratchet or grinding sounds from pump
• Inconsistent or loss of fuel pressure
• Temperatures above 120°F (50C)
As bad as the symptoms of this condition are, the results of this condition are often permanent, even if what caused the condition in the first place was fixed. Loss of fuel delivery pressure will also result in a lean-out condition as well that can result in engine damage. Typically, even with very short amounts of time of exposure to cavitation (depending on severity) will cause damage to the fuel pump. This damage results in a direct loss of capacity and efficiency. Often as noted when unchecked, this damage to the pump results in operating conditions that quickens cavitation exposure at each use. Eventually, the fuel system resorts to complete failure to build or maintain pressure. For all fuel systems of any manufacturer, this failure can be avoided as it is not a result of a manufacturing defect, but a result of a fuel system design failure.
Two operating conditions can create the cavitating condition:
• High operating temperatures
• High inlet plumbing restrictions
High operating conditions can exist for several reasons, such as high inefficiencies (such as a worn or damaged pump), overly high fuel pressures, high flow rate pumps for long durations with low fuel amounts, or secondary sources of heat such as fuel rail(s), engine or exhaust. Prodigy Fuel Pumps have the distinction of having speed control, inherent in its design. This allows a reduced speed during low engine demand conditions that can add excessive temperatures to the fuel system.
Some refer to pumps as “pushers” or “pullers”. The truth is that all pumps are both. This reference comes from the amount of resistance to cavitation a particular pump has versus another. Minimizing the amount of restriction feeding the pump’s inlet is a critical element to avoid cavitation. This is the main reason why typical OEM fuel systems have their pumps mounted inside the fuel tank. Use of straining filters is required for the inlet of the fuel pump, to have a fine enough filtering to protect the fuel pump, yet coarse enough not to inhibit flow, or capture enough particles to cause a building up of debris. Finer filtration, to protect the rest of the fuel system (such as fuel injectors and regulators) can be accomplished downstream of the fuel pump with a second filter. Typically, straining filters for fuel pumps elements have micron ratings from 25 to 150 micron rating. Fuelab recommends the use of 75 micron rating for Prodigy Series fuel pumps (75-150 micron required). Typically, modern OEM straining filters are at a lower micron rating and made of plastic weave cloth. While these types of filters are adequate and desirable for OEM applications, however typical aftermarket fuel systems have far too high of flow rate to accommodate this form of straining filter easily. The biggest mistake and almost certain doom for a high flow fuel system, is to use a 10 micron filter upstream of the fuel pump. Plumbing size and the types of hose (or tube) play a vital role in the effects of cavitation as well general performance. The larger the flow rate, the larger the line size must be. Always avoid the use of check valves, or cross-drilled fittings when plumbing upstream of the fuel pump.

If you have a problem under heavy throttle then you most lightly have a restriction in your fuel LP system. If you have a problem after sitting for a long time in traffic then it is probably a heat in the fuel problem. I have suffered from the later on many occasions because my fuel system is layed out in such a way so as to cause it to absorb a lot of heat when it gets hot under the hood.
I have completely cured the problem by pressurising my swirl pot to about 5psi. I have done nothing else. remember that the return line from the swirl pot enters the tank at a reasonable height if you do not have a non return valve in it it is quite possible for the hp pump to obtain fuel/vapour through this pipe if it is an easier route and your system is plumbed that way.
With a full tank of fuel. Your fuel pump will circulate the tank contents approx 4 times an hour. With 2 galls in it. It will be circulated approx 20 times an hour.
Check filters first. Then create some pressure in the swirl pot.
Depending on your pump type it may be damaged if it was sucking vapour for a while.

Diesel,next

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service