Jan 6th, 2013 Dakar Rally Stage 2 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 2 of the 2013 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon has a 30 minute deficit to overcome, after experiencing gearbox issues in Stage 1. The terrain of stage 2 is nothing but sand, so it will favor Robby Gordon in his quest to make up lost time. The cars are slated to begin the special section of stage 2 at 10:00am/et and Robby Gordon is slated to begin his special section at 10:55am/et  Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2013 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat now works on the Ipad & Iphone.

2013 Photos

STAGE 2 TRACKING

STAGE 2: PISCO > PISCO

Connection 85km | Special Stage 242km | Total 337km

COURSE OVERVIEW

Like every year, more than 25% of the competitors will discover the Dakar for the first time. With this stage, they will be immediately immersed in a sandy environment and cross gentler dunes. Their initial endeavours will allow them to test and adjust their driving techniques, but also to sample the delights of shovelling sand for some, while several engines will overheat for the first time. During this stage where there is only sand, the minor scares at the beginning of the special stage will not stop the majority of drivers and navigators from savouring a constant treat for the eyes. In terms of aesthetics, the scenery borders on perfection.

The GREEN section of the route is the connection , the RED is the Special Section of the stage.

Get your 2013 Dakar Stickers HERE

Views: 12538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carlos, good you got that off your chest. Now start posting and talking about what you want to talk about. Robby and the Planet members have to know by now that Peterhansel and the Minis are the car/team to beat. If we deny this and hold to our silly statements as the core of the matter, we really become quite comical, especially now. Two days now into Dakar 2013 and we are playing catch-up once again to the girl cars.

I like Robby because he is bringing the best of US style offroad racing to the Dakar, and he brings it in a hands-on style. I find it more interesting when the small teams compete as opposed to the team being heavily controlled by large corporate interest. But then, the small teams do benefit from sponsors.

In my opinion Robby needs to compete at the best of his ability - which he is doing. He also needs to recognize the fun and pure pleasure aspect of all of this, and be friends with all.

The forthcoming SST series is going to be a great place for these drivers (yes Peterhansel, yes Nasser)) to get together, and do what they love (race) in a unique set-up. The only reason they would not would be unnecessary overinflated egos.

I would have to believe RG just ran a bit on the conservative side for him and understands there is a LONG way to go yet. We all know what he can do when he puts the hammer down. The rest of the field will know when he turns it up. Its way to early to panic. Visited with a friend yesterday that was at Dumont when the Fuggly's were out testing for three days. Got some good insight on their make up and capabilities. It is going to be interesting to watch this Dakar unfold.....stay tuned and keep the faith that RG has this under control.

HEY AT LEAST WERE MAKING GAINZ MAN ALL KINDS OF GAINZ ! AND WE DID NOT GO NEG

We hit rock bottom yesterday, so it bloody well be GAINZ.

yup now it's up and only up .... but still 2nd day , rank 29th ....
he's gonna slam the right pedal ... gas on robby !!!!!

Perhaps a gain in overall position. But a loss of an additional 19 minutes is not a gain by any other measure---it is cumulative time that counts, and cumulative time behind has now been increased by 60% over stage 1. It is going to take absolutely flawless execution at every stage now to make up 49 minutes, and that means driver, navigator, support crew---everyone. I agree that there has been too much trash talk. This is not a middle school football game. This is motor sport at its highest level, and talk does not win races, gain the respect of competitors, or ensure sponsorship for future efforts. Nor does it get the necessary result from crew personnel. I've been a Gordon fan since IMSA sedan racing days, Indy cars etc., but it's time for nothing but the high level of professionalism that I know this team and driver are capable of. Anything else is distraction.

@Mark, it's a sure bet Robby's not happy about where their positioned. He doesn't need me to lecture him.

It's not a lecture. I just don't favor the talk, even if prompted by the talk of others. Focus on the task rather than generating additional animosities that will only serve to make the task more difficult. There may come a time on-course where friends are helpful.

that smack talk is already out there.Nobody has a time machine to back in time.
Is there new smack? I haven't seen/heard it!

Robby was with Gerard DeRooy on course today!

i don't think that a single competitor can say i have it under control in this event .
everyday can be your last day or a day of glory .
that's what this make this race so unique .
no doubt he can make it .... just a long way to go , full of obstacles and surprises .

How were we all led to believe that Robby has an advantage in the sand? I say we stop making predictions about stages and just go along for the ride. I think today's performance was good.......all things considering:)

+1

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service