Jan 3rd, 2012 Dakar Rally Stage 3 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 3 of the 2012 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon finished 3rd during stage 2 & Nasser Al Attiyah won the stage. Al Attiyah begins this stage at 10:18am/et & Gordon starts his at 10:24am/et. Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2012 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat now works on the Ipad & Iphone.

STAGE 3 TRACKING

STAGE 3: San Rafael > San Juan

Connection 291km | Special Stage 208 | Total 499km

COURSE OVERVIEW

The Andes Cordillera, ever-present throughout the 2012 Dakar, is very demanding for the drivers. The crossing of rivers and the many holes and stones that the drivers will have to avoid during the day's special stage, will make the terrain particularly gruelling. The sturdiness of the engines will be put to the test if the drivers do not remain attentive. But the altitude and the reliefs provide both magnificent landscapes, with every shade of red possible, and small acrobatic challenges, such as a steep climb that the motorcyclists will definitely have to finish in first gear.

Views: 8044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rocks and altitude, Hummer should be awesome in the down hill portion. With its big gear ratios, it will be flying down those hills.

Hey I'm new to Dakar but have been a big RG fan for years but am confused on the stages. From the start in San Rafael to "DSS" start of special is part of track/racing correct? I guess I don't understand what the special stage terminology means. I'm use to baja and desert racing and don't use that terminology. Thanks for any info.

I want to think the DSS means Depart Special Stage and ASS means Arrival Special Stage or what Peterhansel is.

DSS - Departure Special stage
ASS - Arrival Special Stage, the red bit between they race and get timed.
The green bit is Liason. I beleive that even though liason is not timed, you have to get to ASS by a specific time to get your start order or get penelties. Also. get from DSS to the Bievuace, you have to get to the Bievuace before it closes or disqualified.

Exactly, that's what happened to Rob last year. He broke the hub on the liason and missed his start time and actually missed the whole car start. That's why he got DQ'd. The simplest way to say it is the red part is the part that is the actual special.

'special' means timed racing

Okay. The day starts with a transit/laision section of 300K, plus a special stage of 200K for a total of 500K. The SS looks like some serious elevations (over 12,000 ft.). This should handicap any turbo cars, and favor the Hummers on the downslope because of their gearing. Gas On TGM!

As is with most of this event, as long as the Hummers are running, they will be the fastest cars on the road... Prudent driving to keep them out of trouble means Hummers take control! :)

And, unfortunately, I have to go back to work tomorrow, so I will entrust my instant-update stream to my lovely wife. She (Oh my Gawd, that is the Cat's mother!) has promised me that she will keep me informed with the latest info during the days. With the new ownership of the company, I find it harder now to access the WWInterweb while on company time and not suffer from management. For the best I guess. If you find her posting under my name, just look for the Canadian wit/sarcasm in her posts. You'll know it's not me. ;o)

which part of Canada? it makes a difference.

were you thinking french canadian, mike.

@Terry, you read my mind

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service