Final day of the 2009 Dakar rally. Thanks for all the participation during the past 2 weeks.

Stage 14 - Saturday, January 17

Cordoba > Buenos Aires

Connection: 224 km | Special: 227 km | Connection: 341 km | Total: 792 km

The adventure began on La Pampa. After having explored two veritable nation-continents, the competitors will find a more familiar type of landscape. On long, rolling routes, concentration remains necessary. Those who arrive with a ranking in Buenos Aires will have achieved the most impressive loop ever undertaken in rally-raid. And they will remain forever first

Views: 212

Replies to This Discussion

Not sure if this was previously posted but looks like tragedy struck Vigger and TSDUSA today. Prayers for both spectator and Vigger.

17/01/09 19:28
http://www.raid-live.com

Along the final stage of the Dakar Rally, set between Cordoba and Buenos Aires, an accident involving a spectator and Eric Vigouroux's Hummer has been signaled.The accident occurred five kilometres from the end of the 200-kilometre stage. The French driver, his eyes full of tears, explained that he had suddenly lost braking power.In addition, the spectator was situated in a zone where access is denied to the public. However it seems that the passion several Argentinians have displayed for the Dakar, as was the case with the WRC, went beyond their sense of personal security.The spectator was airlifted to a hospital in Rosario; his condition seemed critical.It is yet another reminder that rallying is a dangerous sport and security measures put in place need to be respected at all times by the participants as well as the public.
wow. what a sad way to end the rally. Thanks for the heads up, although the news really sucks.
That is horrible, my prayers go out. On a happier note congrats Robby. TOG thanls for everything. I am a new dakarholic and lived every second.
Poor Eric! ... well, sure, I feel bad for the spectator, too, but he put himself in harm's way. But Eric... so much he should have been celebrating and then this.
Dakar website finally decided to put up Robby interview. Maybe WV's "Block Robby interview" fund ran out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Robby Gordon (USA - Hummer - 3ème) - 309

"Right now, I am disappointed and frustrated. Looking back on the raid, I know we could have won but we lost. We were beaten by Volkswagen although we had the right pace. Actually, we lost the raid on stage 8, this is where they made the whole difference. But I am rather confident for the future. We have one more year of contract with the Hummer. We realized that the Volkswagen team and cars were better in the first stages and it is on this type of terrain that we must progress. Next year, we will have the advantage of starting third in the first special stage. We will be there with a faster, more powerful car. We had four flat tyres during this Dakar; next year, we must make sure we don’t get flat tyres.
But one thing is sure, tonight our party will be wilder than the party at Volkswagen."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, Sad to hear about EV's situation. It would definitly put a damper on the nights festivities

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service