Jan 14th, 2016 Dakar Rally Stage 11 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 11 of the 2016 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon start time: 7:58am/et, Sheldon Creed will not start, due to disqualification in stage 8.

STAGE 11 TRACKING

STAGE 11: LA RIOJA > SAN JUAN

Connection 281km | Special Stage 431km | Total 712km

COURSE OVERVIEW

The level of difficulty remains the same, but variety will favour the most flexible of drivers and teams. Sand in all its forms will feature, particularly fesh-fesh, the most volatile and heavy kind, which demands both dexterity and patience. But speed will also be an advantage in other, straighter sections, featuring gravel and pebbles. Opportunities will be few and far between, but there is still time to shake up the standings, since the terrain will be favourable to creating significant gaps.

The GREEN section of the route is the connection , the RED is the Special Section of the stage.

Views: 19812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spataro at finish +1:17:49. lost an hour from WP9 to finish.

All in all a good day. RG will start with the big boys tomorrow and hopefully make up some more time since the cars in front will start 3 minutes apart.

Well..., hum....the Gordini need a 42 to 45 MM restrictor ..or 100 extra HP in order to get to the front ...!!! sorry ..but that's the reality ..!!

+1

RG has proven the Gordini can be as fast as the Mini's and Toyo's when not in altitude. I am wondering what is going on today and yesterday that has him losing so much time.

I see the options as -

• The terrain is too much for the Gordini and better for the Mini's and Toyo's. (hard to believe)
  • Something is wrong with the Gordini
  • RG is not pushing hard enough or simply exhausted at this point. 
  • The tires were modified to be better in gravel and no longer work as well in the sand. 
  • The Mini's and Toyo's have somehow found more speed from the start of the Rally and last year. 

It is a combination of things. Studying the early stages the 312 was not to far off the Toyotas and Minis. He was (as all teams were) off from the Pugs. This rally is an anomaly, due not judge the Gordini program's results at face value.

Lets look at the results

2: 1h04m penalty
6: 1H 57m Ran out of gas
8: 4H 10M failed idler pulley early, failed rear gear late

7H11M total. Lets give him 10M per state on those and we subtract 30M from that

6H41M of failure loss.

2nd place is 51 minutes back! 3rd 1H17M!!!! that's how good the PUGs are.

43.8 actually to be on par with the 5.0l Toyota/Ford
That being said, there is no way in hell the ASO is going to give LS7's a 4.8mm increase. For reference they gave the under 5.4l engines a 1mm increase late year. 1mm.

I don't think it is a HP thing. Wasn't he running with the Mini's and Toyo's earlier in the rally, on CP's and stages he didn't have problems? Seems he can't keep up in the hard terrain now, which is odd. I want to take the Pugs out of this convo.

Maybe the Gordini is better on WRC stages than offroad stages.

What I find surprising and I have watched all sorts of racing since the 1960's is seeing a turbo DIESEL
with less than half the capacity of the LS7 in The Gordini, beat it in a straight line. Still think of diesels
as commercial engines, not cutting edge racing plants

We've had some fun "what if'ing" it but, I'm not convinced that the Gordini has a lack of power problem, there seems to be too many other things going on. Gordini got some clean runs early, not ever sure they got to use the car to its full potential? Most of the videos posted seem to sound like they are going easy on the throttle, short shifting?

or it was short of air?

Highly likely.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service