Jan 12th, 2012 Dakar Rally Stage 11 Race Info & Discussion

Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 11 of the 2012 Dakar Rally. Robby Gordon finished 4th in stage 10 & is now down over 19 minutes in the overall standings. Cars begin stage 11 at 7:44am/et (9:44am local). Raceday chat will be available throughout the entire 2012 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat now works on the Ipad & Iphone.

STAGE 11 TRACKING

STAGE 11: Arica > Arequipa

Connection 120km | Special Stage 478km | Total 598km

COURSE OVERVIEW

For the Dakar's first day in their country, Peruvians will be entitled to two special stages and additional kilometres for the motorcyclists. After a day spent switching between off-piste sections and areas interspersed with rivers, they will benefit from a moment of camaraderie?: a specific bivouac will be set up for them before they continue exploring Peru. The concept, which had not been tried out again since the camp of Foum Zguid in Morocco during the 2007 Dakar, will also create a major obstacle which will affect the management of the race. The assistance vehicles will not be authorized in the maintenance area, where only the motorcyclists and quad riders will be able to help each other.

STAGE BY STAGE RESULTS

Views: 16171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If I were a betting man I'd bet that next year's Dakar course will be more WRC like than a WRC event. It'll be so EU rally like that Robert Kubica will faint if he even logs onto the website. Hell rather than stopping for rain and snow they'll stop if there isn't rain and snow. They'll put in a rule that the course can't go more than 100 yards in a straight line without making a U turn. They'll insure that to win your wheelbase will have to be no more than 6 feet and you'll have to have 4WD or you'll get stuck within 3 feet of the starters flag.

Not hatin', just sayin'........

At least with Nasser gone there is a whole Hummer worth of spare parts.

The "love" between the Qatari and Dakar title holder Nasser Al Attiyah and Robby Gordon seems to has gone - told different stories in the last camp before Peru. Al Attiyah, who had to withdrew from the Rally on Tuesday due to technical problems, said that he "would never race again with this car".

Yesterday the Dakar-organiser ASO reported about Gordon´s eventually disqualification because of eventual false or manipulated air-intakes. Gordon made a official protest, so he could finish the rally. What happened behind the scenes? A reason for Al Attiyah?

For Robby Gordon the situation is different. "The problem is not the Hummer's, but al-Attiyah's," he said to the news agengy DPA. He also told, that the Qatari had pushed the car too far - and had been waiting to leave the competition for days.

Other speculations are harder. 2012 Nasser Al Attiyah is to start in the WRC World Rally Championship as factory driver for Citroen - and the debut is the "Rally Monte Carlo" on January 18th.

"There is speculation that he was upset about missing the first stage of that event, in Monte Carlo, and that he only planned to stay in the Dakar Rally until the end if he had a chance to defend the title he won last year" the news agency DPA reported.

This was from marathonrally.com

This doesn't make sense. Dakar ends on the 15th. Monte Carlo starts on the 18th. Even given an extra day for trophy presentation, Al Attiyah still could have commandeered a Qatar jet and been back in time to start the WRC event...unless...there's bad blood between the WRC and the ASO. They the WRC might set mandatory dates for teams to be present that would prevent competitors from competing in both events. Yeah, running those 2 back-to-back would be a bitch, but if Al Attiyah wasn't up to it, then why did he enter both?

Possibly covering all his bases, he wanted to defend his title but when it appeared he might not be able to it was time to bail and move on to the next race?? I don't know if he has any time in the Citroen? but this would give him the chance for some seat time before Monte Carlo.

I believe there is a little more to the Monte Carlo event than that. I believe there are reconnaissance that must be done before the start of the rally, and I believe if he missed those, then he would miss that rally. That said, with his chances for the win gone, I can understand him wanting to hurry out to the WRC event. Probably not the best way to do it, but oh well.

rallypanam     

Robby currently giving a lesson on restrictive plates, dismantling Nasser's car and showing what they have in there.

https://twitter.com/#!/rallypanam/status/157628922551468032/photo/1

Even though this is not an official impound, I hope this teardown is attended by officials as well as the press. Otherwise it is likely to give offense to the officials, which will not help the appeal.

yep.

When does he sleep?

When he's dead. More time then. :D

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service