Join in and discuss all the action from Stage 9 of the 2010 Dakar Rally. Raceday chat will also be available throughout the entire 2010 Dakar Rally.

STAGE 9: Copiapo > La Serena

Connection 0 km | Special Stage 338 km | Connection 209 km | Total 547 km

Course Overview

The last day in the Atacama will be a good opportunity to make the best of sand and dunes: it is mainly on the first 180 kilometres that the difficulties will be gathered. The terrain being fairly open, the bikers will take off in lines of twenty. At this stage of the race, the leaders are clearly identified in each class but the podium can still change at any moment. In the same way, those who will have reached La Serena will certainly have covered the toughest part, technically speaking. A long distance will however have to still be covered with cold blood and taking it easily. For the amateurs, it is on these qualities that a Dakar can be played.

Views: 132

Replies to This Discussion

Like I sais they seem to have the WP'S/cp's down pat.
Yea you got to wonder if this is simply a VW show don't you?
I quit wondering.
It is quite obvious who the course is designed for.
No sign of BJ at km 71 yet.
RG and Andy are thru 171km- + 35"51" showning in 16th for now.
4 VW's and 1 BMW have completed the stage.
Do they keep racing after the timed stage?
In Re to previous post
Peterpencil & Roma drove Mitsubishis for the past few years
Air Al-Atty drove a BMW X-raid
Miller/Sainz/Cruella Devill... drove VWs Last year
Devill... was a Nissan a few years back
Mitsu bombed witrh the Lancer shift last year & dropped the whole thing this year.
With Mitsu out VW has said this is their last year, although I'm not sure.
I don't think they want to get into another cold war w/BMW they want the winner to be German & with the Jaqpanese not spending on DAKAR vehicles they're gonna take their ball & go home.
VW has just announced to continue in 2011 and 2012 if the regulations/specs will not be changed.
Even with Peterhansel the private X-Raid team cannot go for the victory competing with five cars of a factory team with millions in the back!
RG as a private team and the above mentioned technical specs does not have a chance!
It is a shame - but this is the situation right now.
RG and Andy are thru 135km- 36'25" down- 12th place for now.
The question I have is will there even be a company called Hummer next year?.
There were issues with the reliability this year, of course.
But just see the inflation/deflation issue: In the beginning, when the organization announced that it will be no longer allowed for the Prototypes to use the "in car" controlled inflation/deflation system, VW started to complain very aggressive.
They solved the problem by showing up with a modified tire - they do not need to inflate/deflate the tires on a section.
There are no restrictions on the tires for the prototypes - but there are restrictions for the "Open category" RG is in.
RG was sometimes this year not able to run in the second gear because of the lack of power and torque due to the small air restrictor, so he lost more and more time.
The organization really have to have a closer look to the regulations/specs for next year - otherwise it will be the same "one team" race.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service