Uh-oh...looks like someone forgot to invite the Petty's to the party. This is on Nascar.com...much more reliable than Jayski.

This is from Lee Spencer who is usually very reliable.

Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates and Dale Earnhardt Inc. have entered discussions that could lead to a merger between the two organizations, foxsports.com reported Tuesday.

Such a union would bring together the Nos. 41 and 42 cars of Ganassi and the Nos. 1 and No. 8 cars of DEI, according to the report.

Also want to add that this is from Lee Spencer who is usually dead on.
Juan Montoya drives the No. 42 car, but Ganassi has not named a driver for the No. 41 car. Martin Truex Jr. is the driver of the No. 1 car, and Aric Almirola drives the No. 8, which has not named a sponsor for next year.

One of Montoya's current sponsors, Texaco Havoline, will not return to the car next year, but Ganassi has a partial sponsorship locked in with Wrigley's for the No. 42.

That the two organizations are aligned with different manufacturers is a complication. DEI runs Chevrolets and maintains an engine alliance -- Earnhardt-Childress Racing Technologies -- with Richard Childress Racing, which also is in the Chevy camp.

Ganassi has a contract with Dodge that runs through 2010. According to the report, the expectation would be for the newly formed team to move to Chevrolet, if details can be worked out with both manufacturers. General Motors, which produces the Chevrolet brand, and Dodge majority owner Cerberus Capital also have explored the possibility of a merger between the automakers.

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Thunder reporting that DEI has a "letter of intent" from Ganassi. Doesn't mean that there is a deal yet, but if true, they are seriously working on it.
Very true. The only reason I think there may be something to it is that Lee Spencer is reporting it. She's usually dead on. She's broke the Menard deal with Yates a while back.
Would the team be called Dale Earnhardt Incorporated with Chip Ganassi with Felix Sabtes. DEI wCG wFS !? Anyway 6 teams in the top 35 and a 4 team cap.... They didn't let DEI sell the points (14 team) with the Ginn merger and the 36th place team moved up. Might be goodnews for the 36th and 37th place teams for next season. Would Nascar let DEI give the points to RCR for the 33?
Good for JPM, to be moved out of Dodge....
Jayski reporting the deal is dead.

"UPDATE4: hearing that DEI and Ganassi are not going to merge after meeting Wednesday and there was no deal and negotiations are off.(11-7-2008)"
I just saw that. OK I'm done! No more merger rumors! I'm sick of it! I thought I could trust Lee Spencer but apparently she's even jumping the gun to make up stories. No more posts on mergers from me!
No, quite the opposite... She was right about the talks... no way she could predict the outcome.
Hold the phone!!

"BUT sources at PIR tell me that the deal is 'not' off' and DEI and Ganassi still may be talking.(11-7-2008)"
BUT! I just saw where GM has said they will not support any mergers with a team from another brand. They don't want to have to foot the bill for Chip to get out of his Dodge contract.

This is crazy.
Tell me about it.
Looks like it's a done deal. If they switch to Chevy, that should put Robby into the Bud Shoout and, move him up 2 spots in owner's points, not to mention the verdict is still out on the #22. That could move Robby up another spot if BDR ditches their Cup team and goes with 4 Truck teams next year.

Looks like all will be good for RGM kicking off 2009.
Yea, i posted that in the "top35" thread.
Also shortens the field by 2 cars.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service