Was wondering what the take is on who we, RG Fans, are cheering for during this years Daytona 500. I say Paul Menard, his Dad has always supported Robby throughout the years. Maybe Casey Mears...

Views: 2953

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well done Wally, well done.

That's sort of the way I felt when Robby said "Mini's are for Girls!". I mean Robby kinda wrote-off his female fans if you think about it(unintentionally of course). My Girl Friend is a Robby fan, don't think she liked that very much. She got pissed and wanted to buy a Mini and put Monster stickers all over it, I had to talk her out of it. LOL

I'm thinking this won't go well here but your point noted.

Thanks JerrDog, I'm comfortable expressing myself here I think we're good. Glad your girlfriend is still a Robby fan, easy too see why she would feel put out :-)

The Mini with Monster stickers would have been pretty funny.

Hey! I had the Fan Pick! Yay for me!

Petty to DP comparisons are interesting but useless. I'll just compare her to the current crop of cup drivers, which is where the true comparison is at. Moving it out of the here and now only improves her appearance of having any success. On another note, I know during a lot of these crashes the driver's are just along for the ride, but it seems to me she's a little too at ease just being a passenger. She does have the 'let go of the wheel' down pat.

@GLuce "She does have the 'let go of the wheel' down pat." One of my early mentors was Ray Harvick an original Stroppe factory Bronco racer. He also raced short track stock cars. One thing he stressed to me was "never let go of the steering wheel in a crash no matter what" One night at Ascot in the main event he did an endo with his Jeep. He never let go and it landed on it wheels. He was on the gas as it landed. My jaw dropped watching him do that. It was like a movie stunt. There was a series of 4 or 5 photos of it in 4 Wheeler magazine afterward also. He won the race followed by none other than Steve McQueen in second in his Jeepster. It sunk in and I never let go of the steering wheel.

But, that was old school style. We sat back from the wheel with our arms about 80% straight. Look at NASCAR photos from the 60's and everyone is way back from the wheel. Now the drivers are more or less humping the wheel. They are right on top of it. An hand caught by a spinning wheel in a crash at speed can rip it off. She is very smart and it's something she learned in Indy cars. I notice other drivers are doing it now also.

for what ever it's worth, Martin Truex and Justin Lofton both broke their wrists just last year by ,wait for it.Holding the wheel. Truex broke his navicular, Lofton didn't know which bone when I ask'd him on twitter.
I've broken both of mine twice (very common road racer injury,and skier's) my thumb's work like shit and have no real strength.I hold the wheel with my finger's from the back side of the spokes.It's hard to push the 'push to talk' button.It's easier use my palm.

I broke my navicular a few years ago playing hockey. VERY painful injuty that takes a LONG time to heal. I was in a cast for almost 6 months, and still have some range of motion issues.

All this talk about Danica and DP'n makes me laugh.

I don't know about the letting go of the wheel thing as being this new to stockcar thing riding in on the coattails of Danicrash Patrick. Letting go of the wheel I'm sure is a "situation" thing. If your getting banged around the main objective is car control, remaining as calm as you can and continuing on. I don't know the exact amount of steering input that was lost before Danicrash had the hard impact that we saw her let go of the wheel. The steering wheel wipped around pretty good I guess. More of an issue if any I would have would have been with the tire screeching...........was she making every attempt to correct the car and wrangle it back under her, or, was she hunkered down on the brake pedal and watchimng that baby coming. If she did hang on to the wheel in the crash it would have pretzeled her sock pullers pretty good. I used to drive a 1966 Chevy Flatbed around for fun, work and just to bomb around. We even took that baby up to the GTR in Canada for dance rehersals....I kid you not and then to the Falls.... a few times I had that baby rocking and rolling hauling our quads up some hairy washboard and ruts on the downside of societies concern with seasonal highways. Not to mention a couple railroad track hops and well you name it. Try slapping a wheel in a rut, curb and what not and watch that steering box pick your lucky number with one of them spokes. I also raced a 66 impala in an Enduro race at Holland speedway stock steering. I'll bet those old steering boxes if they were not altered could whip some knuckle soup up. I wonder what R. Pettys view on the letting o of the wheel is. My point? Not trying to make one. If there was one it would be impact with a wheel cramming wall is good reason to abandon ship if not for only two seconds. I got knuckle wipped putting my hands inside that big ass wheel thinking I could muscle a corner short and pinch the curbing....not fun. Oh and the 66 Impala 3 on the tree and I had that baby at 20 degrees port side on the back rail 7 laps in getting pounded like a rookie should. We did not put a floor shift in as time ran out and that killed my fun for the night, linkage was twisted the fan was eating the radiator but that 196 straight 6 was running like it was on the payroll.

And the winners for the 2014 Daytona 500 RG Fan Favorite pick are:

WJM and PDXRACEFAN for picking the #88....CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

I wish I had some SST Las Vegas tickets to send your way.

:-)

Well I was just guessin'.

just wondering
how many cars did the #3 hit or take out in multi car wrecks because he does not have enough car control ?

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service