I asked the question Sunday at the SST Costa Mesa fairgrounds to Robby "will you be at Dakar 2014" His answer was "YES". His look was serious with his response - eye contact was made. I have been following Robby for years. Look out Dakar, he had the that liittle smirk/smile. This will make January exciting for sure.

Views: 11758

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've yet to see a fan video with spectators yelling, "Mini! Mini! Mini!"

Yes. The wheelbase is way to short and the suspension will need to be adjusted. NOTICE: I do not have certainty of what RG is building. But go watch the video of RG at the jump contest at the last SST event. RG hits a "relatively" small jump and puts the car way out of shape. The SST currently requires you to get off the gass just before a jump(even a small one) to give the car the right pitch in the air. This is not a feasible setup for non-stadium race. I'm sure RG will adjust the setup so that doesn't occur. An SST is largely setup to put on a high flying show and I don't believe it would be able to survive a Dakar.

For those longtime fans they'll remember when RG crashed in the Touareg. Per inside sources something broke before that crash and caused the crash. I'm not fully convinced of that. I think it was a combination of a broken part and general car design. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/lW58eAKhGa8

One other thing to note. After the crash RG worked as a mule, followed team orders and was there to support the other Touaregs still in the race. That's the definition of a teammate. Something that POS Nasser could learn from.

Funny story on that crash; Robby told me the reason for the crash was turbo lag. He was just not able to adjust the pitch of the airborne car in the distance he had to work with in the turbo diesel Touareg. That has never been an issue after building the Hummer, and is most noticeable when watching the SST set up and mid-air revving while jumping. Somewhere I still have a Touareg t-shirt that Robby autographed upside-down for me. He even argued with me that it didn't count as upside-down because he landed back on the wheels, but relented when I insisted I had to have the one time only collectors item !

I came home from a family members stag party last night and did not "Type Drunk"...(Car pool no driving)..........I spared you the quest to unravel my twisted words and thoughts which would in fact hardly be the same at that, much like a bowl of spaghetti would seem at quick glace an unorganized rupturing of the basic law of physics but are in reality a perfect example of harmony through freedom from standards, and much like things that seem to go in every direction but the ones you would think they would or should were it be in response or purpose to the matter at hand the end result is often at conflict with what you wanted and hoped for.....your opinion wrong you tailspin and regroup gathering the misfit bits where you were mistaken and live with the facts as they become apparent. Flattered being called upon as a spy of sorts I ask to what I would be spying on ?.................Which in my mind weighs the heaviest of things is this. I like the level at which we (Robby Gordon and the team) go after the DAKAR rally....I really do, but I feel after what I went through last year with trying to get some awareness and support through a birdacage liner newspaper that the amount of secrecy is hurting any national support. Think about it....there you sit on your throne a member of the fandom elite and don't know what is going on. I can only wonder at which point the intersection of secrecy carries any advantage and secrecy handicaps the team in terms of a unfied fan base. The first American to win a stage to wit what Americans even know about? There are lots of folks letting the fruit on the tree in the yard fall to the ground to rot, never knowing to pick it and enjoy what they got.

Very true.

LS7 crate is what Nasser and Chichert ran last year.This engine and a FIA legal roll cage allows you to use the 39mm restrictor.
That combo is what the Hummer's where modified to before delivery toYazeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-zxswaXG2k

A thing of beauty!

Can you please explain to me what is meant by WRC? I was afraid to ask last year because it's like a given if you follow Dakar, you know this stuff but I'm learning daily. I've never seen an off road racing truck in person, but this too will change!!!

World rally championship....I think.

I choose this footage because it shows what 'wrc' course means and this area will be used again for 2014
http://www.planetrobby.com/video/robby-gordon-stage-4-salta

Thanks Mike....If it's short and tight wouldn't an SST do well on this?

Dave, check this out. Notice the car that says "Qatar" on it. This might be Nasser. If it said "Quiter," for sure we'd know it was him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NB5VuT8f6A
WRC as a type of racing influences Dakar heavily. I'm not seeing a whole lot of check point navigation in these videos. But both check point navigation and this tight dirt road precision driving is something Robby does once a year, at Dakar. Robby is a veteran Baja racer, and currently on top. Think about what happens when a European talent comes to Baja. If they are lucky they finish, but to master it takes more than running once a year. Same goes for Robby competing in rally events. But Robby is "one of those" gifted cross-over dudes.

I'm not up on all that is "rally." There's WRC, Rally Raid, of course Dakar, and then there are things like "Silk Road Rally," and the desert events in places such as Saudi Arabia.

By the way, Robby is winning Dakar this year. That's all there is too it.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service