Looks like Mikey is booting McDowell to try and get the 00 back into the top 35. Might be a good strategy / might blow up in his face. I wonder if McDowell will be in cup next year?

By Reid Spencer
Sporting News NASCAR Wire Service

Michael McDowell has been bumped from Michael Waltrip Racing's No. 00 Camry in favor of Kenny Wallace, whose only Cup start this season came in the season-opening Daytona 500. McDowell, who failed to qualify for last Sunday's Camping World RV 400 at Kansas Speedway, remains under contract to MWR and may see action during the final six races of the season.

"We have a singular focus with the No. 00 team now and that is to get it in the top 35 in owners points when the checkered flag falls at Homestead-Miami," Waltrip said Tuesday in a statement released by the team. "This is not about an individual; it is about an organization. Kenny has a lot of experience (in) restrictor-plate racing and a lot of friends who trust him, which is critical at that race. He has a great record at Talladega and we felt like he was our best shot at scoring maximum points.

"We're going to make the same evaluation for the remaining 2008 Sprint Cup races. That could include multiple drivers based on their experiences at particular tracks. Teams have done this at road-course events, and we have the flexibility to do this with the remaining oval races."

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No way Kenny Wallace Beats Robby straight up!... I say straight up as this is restrictor plate racing.. IF? Robby can stay out of the "Big One".. he will beat Kenny no problem..
Kenny Wallace is AWESOME!!! but I hope he sucks this weekend lol....
racing for Jesus MORGAN beats Wallace if he races the whole race in nationwide. Wallace is a good guy but poses no more of a threat than kyle petty.
hahaha Kenny Wallace?!?! Why not cram Spencer in there. If you just wanna crash cars. MWR is one sorry operation. Not even the guy from McClaren can bring cool to that bunch.
I better shut up, next thing you know they'll have Lewis Hamilton in one of these boxes...someone at MWR's got deeeeep pockets.
I can't believe they didn't put somebody else in the car to qualify for Kansas , since #00 was only 8 points back. McDowell choked bigtime at Kansas. Very smart move on MWR to do this and if RG falls out of the top 35, Robby should hire somebody to get the car back in the top 35 for him,because he is a pittiful qualifier.
I'll drive it...But I want a be my own crew chief. I get the pole almost everytime on the x-box
An owner, not tied up in his own pride and concerned about getting into the top 35 would hire someone else. With Robby's type of determination it would be out of the question.
There was a time, not that long ago, when Kenny was a pretty sure bet for a top ten at Talladega. He has a pretty impressive run through the field in the last couple laps to finish 2nd in the fall of 2000...He even took a Furniture Row car to a 26th last spring. I also don't understand the comment that he did nothing while driving for Yates. He was still a ROTY candidate in 93, drove for Yates for 10 races in 94. In those ten races, 8 top 20 finishes and 9 top 25 finishes. People here would absolutely goo themselves if RG could put together 8 top 20 finishes in a ten race span, with 7 top 15 starting spots....

I'm not really a fan. They gut is annoying as hell in the booth and his time in Cup has long since passed, but he's not a complete hack. I think he should make up his mind if he wants to be a commentator or a driver.
Kenny started 4 races in 2007 in the #88 Snickers Ford for RYR while Ricky Rudd was injured. His stats for those 4 races:

Race# Start Finish Laps/Total
26 22 28 399/400
27 27 34 296/300
28 39 23 396/400
29 38 40 171/210

And I wouldn't really say the #88 Snickers Ford was "top of the line" in 2007 since prior to his injury at Fontana in September, Ricky Rudd only had 1 Top 10 finish (Coca~Cola 600), 4 Top 15/20 finishes, and 7 Top 25 finishes in 25 races. Add that to his starts after he returned, that is 1 Top 10 finish, 6 Top 15 finishes, 7 Top 20 finishes, and 10 Top 25 finishes in 33 races.
Kenny is well past his "shot" in Cup. No question. When he was a good young(er) driver in 1994 and got to replace Irvan in the #28, he was a solid driver.
I would like nothing more for Kenny not even to qualify and MWR go back even more in points. Just so we can all give MW the proverbial finger!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service