CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Paul Menard will leave Dale Earnhardt Inc. at the end of the season to drive for Yates Racing, The Associated Press has learned.
Menard is expected to announce Tuesday that both he and his sponsorship will move to Yates, a person familiar with Menard's decision told The AP. The person requested anonymity because Menard had yet to make his announcement.
The loss could ultimately cripple DEI because Menard's sponsor is his father's midwest-based hardware chain. The loss of driver and sponsor leaves DEI with just one full-time sponsor and three drivers signed for next season.
DEI is a four-car team this year, but has lacked full sponsorship for rookie Regan Smith's team all season.

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rube, understand the RGM chassis aren't bad, it's that they're the only team using them. Plus, this Kansas chassis was the first new one, in how long? If Rob had another car, or 2 using the same chassis, it wouldn't be so bad. The stand alone chassis is the biggest downfall of a single car team.
Yeah buddy, & isn't this the year he has to thin his heard down? 26, or the 6, my educated bet is on the 26. It's a duh move that whichever car is out @ Roush, will be in @ RYR. So the only question is, which one.
From what I have read, Roush has to thin down before the start of the 2010 season. He can have 5 teams next year.
Gilligan is Robby's boy? Oh God!!!
Didn't Robby pic Gilliland to test and qualify the #31 at Homestead for him while he was at Baja in 2004?
No, he qualified the #55 FOTL car 7th in the Busch race. Robby "discovered' Gilliland with help from Kevin Harvick.
With the same results as this year.
Single car teams are doomed for failure.
There is enough evidence to suggest that even a three car team will be average.
Without John M. Robby doesn't have the bucks to buy into DEI and DEI wants younger talent as that what sponsors are saying. Sponsorship is the key and with this country's financial mess, they aren't many looking to put their logo on someones hood that doesn't get a ton of free air time each week on a major network. ESPN, FSN and FX doesn't count IMO.

So the best option for Robby is pull some sort of deal with State Water Heaters and Wells Fargo to supply Petty and Riggs with a Dodge that needs to be qualified each week. Maybe a thrid driver like Sauter, Knavil or AJ can bring over a sponsor for the other 12 races. Let them do 12 in a row.

This would make for interesting coverage from the talking heads.
Rob's already got sponsors.
Turtle,
I think Robby's the kind of guy that needs ONE man that he has to answer to. I'd bet a lot of money that RGM would be a much happier and productive place if that was the case. When he was with RCR, RC could get on the horn and tell Robby to do what the CC said. Richard's cars were junk when Robby was driving them but Robby still won races.
I'd love to see Robby is Rousch chassis, with Yates power, and in an ownership line up of Menard, Yates, and Robby. The papa John or Doug could have at least some say so over him. When he owns the whole show, at least in NASCAR, he screws it up. If had partners at the top, he could do the things he does best and he could have help doing the things that he doesn't do so well. And I'd bet he would win a lot of races like that.

BRR
I think Robby would listen to John Menard too. Not sure about Doug Yates

One question: Is there any relationship between Max Jones and Robby? I know they drove some road racing events for Roush back around the same time.
Yes, Rob & Max were team mates at Roush -IMSA days.
What I haven't read or know is how they get along.
I have an at large question- Why does it appear that Roush
doesn't care for Robby,Robby won a lot of races for Roush,
that history should be worth something. Mike

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service