Ok, so there has been some banter going on about Robby going back to open wheel. Sure, that makes sense. He's has success there before, there are more road courses over there than there used to be and the sport seems to be building momentum after the merger of Champ Car and IRL. Here's the thing. Aside from Indy, I don't think that Robby has much interest in the new IRL. I know one of the reasons he moved to Nascar was because of safety concerns on the high speed ovals. While that situation had gotten better, those concerns are still there. Look at Franchitti in 2007.

My argument is, if he's going to leave, why not go to the Rolex series? That series is 100% road course, and has a light schedule, which would allow RG to run the Daytona 500, the Indy 500, both road course races in Cup and he could run as much off-road as he wanted. To me, at least, it seems like the perfect "retirement plan", if and when Robby decides he's had enough of Nascar. Just a thought. We know Chip will eventually have to replace Pruett as he nears the 50 year old mark.

If I was a driver that would seem to be the most fun series around, aside from WoO latemodels.

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love it. Ovals are growing tiresome. I'd love to see RG go up against Pruett in ALMS. the cars are awesome, the drivers are awesome, and the sanctioning body hasn't completely crushed technology and innovation.
I prefer ALMS to DP, but a lot of drivers cross over. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing RG run full time in either of those series.
He wouldn't bring in near as much money would he? Sure it would be awesome to see him come back to Indianapolis to run every year, but I don't think it would be worth jumping into a car for the Indy 500 and Daytona 500 just to finish 11th and 25th.
I bet Beam and Monster would be interested. They are interested in all kinds of motorsports.
Alex,
Have you ever been to a Rolex race? Go to VIR next spring and see if you think it is boring. I will be sitting in the uphill esses. Those babies are a lot more fun to watch than stock cars. They are almost as much fun to watch as a dirt super late model.

BRR
i dont think pruett drives in the alms does he? just asking.i cant think which one hes is in, theres two.
Pruett does not drive in ALMS. He drives in Grand-Am DP Series.
woops. The cars are so similar...and so cool. Sports cars just caught my eye this year really.
hahahahahahaha
Are you kidding?
The cars in ALMS are much more technically advanced. They don't have the restrictions that the Grand-Am cars have, but the Grand-Am ends up with a larger more competative field. ALMS has really botched it a bit in recent years with the tokens given to LMP2 to allow them to beat up on the LMP1 cars, which is just absurd, and why the Penske Porsche cars do not go to Le Mans, no matter how much they win in ALMS. They've also had issues with constantly changing rules in GT1, between the Aston Martins and Corvettes.

None of the major full time prototype teams in ALMS would give Robby a sniff of a full time ride, and it is absolutely not a viable option for him to put up his own team.

In Grand-Am, RG could actually get a decent seat, or even have his own Grand-Am DP team and be competative.
Dude, Ryan Briscoe was in ALMs last year and was very successful dont' tell me that Robby wouldnt wipe the floor with Ryan Briscoe. Scott Sharpe is among the leaders for the championship. We know Robby is better than him too. I think the drivers are pretty equal in Grand am and ALMS. The difference is the technology. Either way Robby could do it and win championships.

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service