Getting lots of conflicting stories about RGM's future for 2009. Hearing 1 of 3 scenarios likely to take place, but alot depends on Menard's decision.

If Menard opts to stay with DEI, Inc., Robby would join DEI and take over the #01 (becoming the #7) in 2009. Giving DEI Truex, Menard, Gordon & Almirola for it's lineup in 2009. Regan Smith would likely run full time in the Nationwide or (if Gordon finishes inside the Top 35 along with the #01, the #01 could run under RGM's banner (pending sponsorship).

If Menard chooses to join Yates Racing then Robby could join DEI but, would need to find sponsorship to replace Menards (possibly Monster?)

or (new twist) hearing after the test at Charlotte, Penske could be a strong possibility. Robby felt very good after the test with his Penske power, and with drivers David Stremme and Sam Hornish still unproven in the Cup ranks, Robby would be in position to replace Newman at Penkse's top along side Kurt Busch.

Supposivley Menard should have a decision soon with an official announcement at Dega or Charlotte.

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Penske but Robby and Kurt on the same team? We all know about there past.
Robby at Penske would be the way to go. That program should be pretty good next year. There putting all lot of time and effort figuring out the cup cars. Kurt ran on a brand new chasis two weeks ago and finished 6th. Roger wants to win and it would be awesome if Robby was onboard.
The Penske thing could work, if Kurty is crying too much Robby could just pull a Jimmy Spencer on him and straighten him out .... which would be cool. Given the same equipment, Robby could kick his ass on the track, too...............
I dont see any of these teams buying RGM. If RGM goes over to DEI, my guess is it would be in some form of technical support. Why would DEI want to buy RGM? They have 4 cars already and they have their shops already.

Penske would not want to buy RGM. Why would he? His shop is 5X bigger then RGM. With Roger Penske's connections what would he get from buying RGM? Owners points maybe, but RGM would have to finish in the top 35 first. And what are owners points worth? Not $20 million. If RGM was to aline themselves with Penske it would only be in a technical support way. That is if Penske would even what to do that.

Now the Yates deal is what most interests me. As I see allot of what Menard and RG were attempting to do 2 years ago brewing again. If Menard was to move to Yates. Then I could see RGM in some form partnering with them. That is if Menard is more then just a sponsors on a car with his son driving. RGM would only be moving over to Yates if John Menard was calling some shots. And even then would RGM be somehow turned over to John Menard? Or would RG still own one team with Yates and maybe Menard having some interest in one of the Yates cars? I dont have a clue. Also lets not forget that Doug Yates is only a part owner of Yates Racing as Max Jones who was with Roush is a co-owner of Yates Racing. So their is a person that nobody has mentioned and how would Max play into all this?

But I will say I think what ever happens next year, I think RGM will still be a single car team with support from a bigger team. What made the GEM deal look so good was the fact that GEM wanted a 4th team and buying RGM got them a 4th team, driver and shop in a good location which GEM really needed. Without the shop and land I dont thing RGM would have been as appealing to GEM. So out of all the places we think RGM could land, how would benefit the most? Both DEI and Penske already have prime locations and shops. Yates is renting from Roush, which has worked in their favor as there equipment is built at Roush and then rolled over to their building.
Don't forget about RCR. Childress badly wants to get owner points for his fourth team. I really think what will happen is Robby sells owner points to Childress...his "team" but Robby get a position at DEI and a 4-5 year contract. He takes over the #01...which becomes the #7. Regan Smith is out...running nationwide.
NIKAL - I think your looking at it from a different viewpoint. Your correct, GEM wanted a better loaction, but Penske & DEI know how important the 4 car team will be next season. When Nascar tried to cap teams with a limit of 4, it actually set a standard for organizations to have 4 teams to compete, look at The Chase: All the drivers come from 3 or 4 car teams, and RCR will be adding a 4th car next season. It's all about resources and information. Penske, Yates, DEI all want 4 teams next season.

Look for Robby to merge with one of these teams. I agree, it won't be the deal GEM offered but, probably a deal that allows Robby ownership of his car still. RGM's shop still would be a great Nationwide shop...
Menard is NOT going to be with DEI in 2009.
TOG I think the same way, you saw what I posted on Robbynews last week. I really figured you would have heard something by now if it was a done deal like I was told.

That was also why I was so surprised to hear all this talk about RGM to DEI.
I think Robby needs to land where he has to be a driver.....He has already proved that he cannot be a cc and a driver! I'll qoute Tog on this one....I don't care where he lands as long as he is listed as a driver on race day....IMO
I'm not sure I understand. I need to be told 20 times to understand and so far you have only stated this 18 times :).
I thought the same thing TOG...I keep hearing Paul is ready to move to Yates, but give Max Seigel credit as a buisness man, I believe he's making a strong push to keep Paul in the lineup. Paul was even quoted sayting, "I know where I'd like to drive, but it's not my decision."

Yates was ready to make an announcement 2 weeks ago, but no deal was signed. I think the longer it goes without an announcement from Yates favors DEI.

Truex was all but gone before Max sat down with him and layed out a plan. I'm sure Paul is getting the same type of attention right now.

It's obvious Paul is ready to jump to Yates
What about Robby going to DEI and Robby "selling" RGM to RCR for the points for their 4th team. Robby then starts a "new team" for a Nationwide series team and a few cup races out of his current shop. His Nationwide team can be used for development drivers for DEI and RCR?

Just an idea, and has anyone else heard that Menard will not be with DEI next year???

Just kidding, TOG thanks for all you do.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service