#7-Robby Gordon now seems to be looking at a new partnership elsewhere in the Sprint Cup garage. And the word-on-the-street is that Gordon may now be headed back to General Motors and Chevrolet in a still murky deal with Dale Earnhardt Inc. that would make him a teammate with DEI’s #1-Martin Truex Jr. and the others at that company. Gordon had no comment on the report, and neither did anyone at DEI. But sources close to the situation said it did indeed look like a deal was in the works, and said something might be announced as soon as Monday. Where Gordon stands in the Dodge camp is unclear, because Dodge executives have been unavailable for any comment. And just what Gordon’s legal status is at the moment, after Friday’s surprise announcement that Gillett-Evernham would be dropping its lawsuit against Gordon over what Gillett-Evernham said was breach of contract, is also unclear. Just how any possible Gordon-DEI merger might work is not clear. Truex is the team’s anchor. Mark Martin is leaving DEI and moving to Rick Hendrick’s team at the end of the season, and rookie #8-Aric Almirola is to take Martin’s spot full-time next year. #01-Ragan Smith, meanwhile, is also a promising rookie but currently without new sponsorship. And then there’s #15-Paul Menard, a long-time DEI driver who is renegotiating his contract; Menard is also under consideration for a Ford ride with the Doug Yates. That means DEI has four drivers at the table right now, and unless one of them were to leave there would be no room for Gordon. The Menard angle is the most curious – because Gordon is a long-time friend with Menard’s father John, who has helped sponsor Gordon over many years and who has his name on the side of Gordon’s hauler here. Gordon has been trying to put together a two-car operation with Paul and John for some time, but nothing has ever come of it.

IMO this deal does make sense as RG does have GM support for his off road ventures, Menards is already on board, and DEI has an engine program with RCR, with whom Rob already has a good relationship with. I guess time will tell...

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paul will be at Yates next year.
Oh boy. So what do you know about RG then at this point. You have been quiet regarding the DEI deal... :)
Max Siegel isn't so sure: "We'd love to have him back. He knows how important he is to the company. There's been no official decision made on Paul Menard and I believe Doug Yates and I can confirm that. I do anticipate they will be making a decision this week. I can't tell you what that is and we are very hopeful that he will continue to find a home at Dale Earnhardt Incorporated."

by Lee Spencer on FoxSports.com

Could the RGM issue be what's taking time with Paul coming to a decision?
John Story was a financial partner in the original RGM in 2000. When Rob relaunched the team John worked as the GM for RGM. He left for DEI when that position became available.
yes.
Robby and bad blood with teamates? That would be something new. I can hear the dinner conversation between Robby and Harvick talking about how much he dislikes Truex!
I've got some questions. I've heard a few comments that I find odd about people not liking Robby. First, why is it being said the Truex does not like Robby? I remember Truex saying he was a friend a few years back and that Truex on several occasions shook down Robby's car when Robby was in Baja. Truex is also quoted as saying that he could get along and work with anybody. Secondly why would anyone assume that John Story and Robby's relationship has soured? For all we know, with friends like John Menard and John Story involved at DEI, they both could have a part to play in this merger. So, where are the sources for these problems. Are they real or assumed?

One more thing:
One other person that is going to be a factor in this is Richard Childress. Robby and RC are still tight and Childress has assumed a role of trying help Teresa rebuild DEI. He knows how good Robby is and knows that Robby could make a big difference over there. This scenario seems to make the most sense of anything that has been discussed. More so than Yates, Penske, or GEM.

http://www2.independenttribune.com/content/2008/sep/22/a-nomad-robb...
Menard, RG, and Ricky Carmichael in the Nationwide car until he gets some more experience.

Monster Energy Super Team.
Yeah,& Dale Jr's goin to run F1 next year...
Honda comes in with driver Jeremy McGrath, picks up Robby to help MC learn the ropes, out of the RGM shop..
I read last friday on another site the Yates Menard deal is done.

Yates doesn't have a facility anymore... (Petty bought it)

So if I was a betting man I would say the Yates(Menard) program would/could move into RGM's.

Or John buys BDR and moves there. John has always been knee deep in the Engine side of things knowing that you can't win a championship with someone eles' engines. So the BDR thing would make more sense.
Monster has no problem picking up Red Bull's scrap either... I wouldn't be surprised to see AJ Dingaling in a Monster car next year.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service