#7-Robby Gordon now seems to be looking at a new partnership elsewhere in the Sprint Cup garage. And the word-on-the-street is that Gordon may now be headed back to General Motors and Chevrolet in a still murky deal with Dale Earnhardt Inc. that would make him a teammate with DEI’s #1-Martin Truex Jr. and the others at that company. Gordon had no comment on the report, and neither did anyone at DEI. But sources close to the situation said it did indeed look like a deal was in the works, and said something might be announced as soon as Monday. Where Gordon stands in the Dodge camp is unclear, because Dodge executives have been unavailable for any comment. And just what Gordon’s legal status is at the moment, after Friday’s surprise announcement that Gillett-Evernham would be dropping its lawsuit against Gordon over what Gillett-Evernham said was breach of contract, is also unclear. Just how any possible Gordon-DEI merger might work is not clear. Truex is the team’s anchor. Mark Martin is leaving DEI and moving to Rick Hendrick’s team at the end of the season, and rookie #8-Aric Almirola is to take Martin’s spot full-time next year. #01-Ragan Smith, meanwhile, is also a promising rookie but currently without new sponsorship. And then there’s #15-Paul Menard, a long-time DEI driver who is renegotiating his contract; Menard is also under consideration for a Ford ride with the Doug Yates. That means DEI has four drivers at the table right now, and unless one of them were to leave there would be no room for Gordon. The Menard angle is the most curious – because Gordon is a long-time friend with Menard’s father John, who has helped sponsor Gordon over many years and who has his name on the side of Gordon’s hauler here. Gordon has been trying to put together a two-car operation with Paul and John for some time, but nothing has ever come of it.

IMO this deal does make sense as RG does have GM support for his off road ventures, Menards is already on board, and DEI has an engine program with RCR, with whom Rob already has a good relationship with. I guess time will tell...

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

terrible, except the two fatties
Once again. You feel strongly about this and yet give us no insight. Why so angry?
I'm pretty sure you were talkin to Fly (who's obviously exceeded the recomended serving allowance of Khaos today), but I'll field this one. All anybodys hearing right now is what can be ruled out. Anybody on the team,& anybody here that recieves confidential info knows to keep it in confidence. Not to sound sarcastic (for a change), but thats it. So don't expect any decisive answers from anybody right now.
Sorry but most of us would rather dissappoint you, than mislead you.
I'm not so sure this is a good move for RG. Theresa screws everyone she has dealings with. He and Richard do not have a good relationship, as a matter of fact I felt that Richard was paying Greg Irwin to screw Robby when he began his own team. Obviously RG needs money and has to do some type of merger, but this may not be the right thing for him. Too bad he can't keep afloat in his owner/driver capacity. I sure wish Icould talk talk to him. I've got the solution, but not sure RG would agree to what I have in mind. Joan
Say what ?
What's that? You pay him 15 mil a year to put your face on the hood? He would go for that...
If Theresa screws everybody she has dealings with, I'll deal with her, I'll just need a few real strong drinks first..... she'll be so much happier... for a while anyway.
I've never heard RC say anything bad about RG. Why do you believe they do not have a good relationship? If what was reported was true RC tried to get RG to stay and drive the 07 car. In fact the only bad things i"ve heard from RCR came from Harvick
I know RC and RG were both in the works in 2004 to get the Jack sponsorship. I even seen it reported that RC wanted to get the #7 from RG and was bent about it. RG basically explained why he should be able to keep the #7 and tough shit.
If drivers and owners held grudges the way fans do, no deals would ever get done.
I feel bad for RG that he has to merge or sell. His dream of being owner/dirver and winning like Alan was never realized. Any move he make is not going to be in his best interests. Wish I could have a one-on-one with him. Wish it could have been at NH, RG doens't capitalize on his own importance. He could be anohter Kimora is he'd only listen to someone (like me). Joan
Yeah RC was bending RG over for the engines at some crazy price like 50K per race. When RG knew he was going off on his own towards the end of the season he blew off RC and went to wagner engines.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service