#7-Robby Gordon now seems to be looking at a new partnership elsewhere in the Sprint Cup garage. And the word-on-the-street is that Gordon may now be headed back to General Motors and Chevrolet in a still murky deal with Dale Earnhardt Inc. that would make him a teammate with DEI’s #1-Martin Truex Jr. and the others at that company. Gordon had no comment on the report, and neither did anyone at DEI. But sources close to the situation said it did indeed look like a deal was in the works, and said something might be announced as soon as Monday. Where Gordon stands in the Dodge camp is unclear, because Dodge executives have been unavailable for any comment. And just what Gordon’s legal status is at the moment, after Friday’s surprise announcement that Gillett-Evernham would be dropping its lawsuit against Gordon over what Gillett-Evernham said was breach of contract, is also unclear. Just how any possible Gordon-DEI merger might work is not clear. Truex is the team’s anchor. Mark Martin is leaving DEI and moving to Rick Hendrick’s team at the end of the season, and rookie #8-Aric Almirola is to take Martin’s spot full-time next year. #01-Ragan Smith, meanwhile, is also a promising rookie but currently without new sponsorship. And then there’s #15-Paul Menard, a long-time DEI driver who is renegotiating his contract; Menard is also under consideration for a Ford ride with the Doug Yates. That means DEI has four drivers at the table right now, and unless one of them were to leave there would be no room for Gordon. The Menard angle is the most curious – because Gordon is a long-time friend with Menard’s father John, who has helped sponsor Gordon over many years and who has his name on the side of Gordon’s hauler here. Gordon has been trying to put together a two-car operation with Paul and John for some time, but nothing has ever come of it.

IMO this deal does make sense as RG does have GM support for his off road ventures, Menards is already on board, and DEI has an engine program with RCR, with whom Rob already has a good relationship with. I guess time will tell...

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What's better? A DEI deal or a deal with Ford/Yates?

Personally, I would like to see him back in a Ford, but he had his best years with the bowtie.
Jack Roush hates RG and has for a long time.. Jack has a strangle hold on the Ford camp and Yates currently is little more than a extention of Roush.. even if RG buys Yates he'd have a hard time getting support from Roush... going back to Ford would be a poor career move for RG. Look at the RCR-DEI engine program, it yields results!! All of RCR's cars are in the chase, DEI's Martin is a threat every time he takes to the track, and Truex has had an off year. Even Regen Smith is doing well for a rookie. Their motors play a large role in this success. That alone is a good reason to buy, merge, or align with Chevrolet.
But if an RGM Yates buyout were to happen, and the Yates engine shop still builds engines for Rousch, then Robby gets some leverage over Jack.

I like the DEI deal better - keeping NASCAR and the Off-Road rigs under the GM banner. But I could see him making a Ford deal work too.
No way! No How!
Fly...do you know something we don't know or do you just hate DEI?
My Prediction: Since DEI has 4 drivers and Paul Menard looks like the one who won't get signed by DEI for next year, RG strikes a partnership deal with DEI and brings Paul Menard and his dad over to RGM. In 2009, DEI = 3 cars and RGM = 2. DEI gets to downsize and RGM gets to expand with a car, a sponsor, and engines.

Opinions?
That sounds more realistic than the Yates deal.
No way DEI goes down to 3 teams. Everyone wants the 4 car team because of the increased revenue.
like to see it happen as Robby desperately needs the second team...also lets not forget the engines he was getting from dei back when he was runnig the chevy...not too shabby!!!
I would rather see Robby in a Chevy over a Ford anyday!
real men wear bow ties
Guys think about it this way. Remember Childress saying he as trying to find a way to get his new #33 locked in? A DEI deal looked to be the way t do that however everyone wondered how RC could only buy one DEI team (presumably the 01). The truth is they can't. What can happen, however is a three way deal that where Robby sells his owner points to RC, and his team and sponsors move over to take over the #01 (becoming the #7). If this happens, we should have seen this coming a long time ago with Robby's and RC's relationship. I hope this happens. I think DEI is way ahead of GEM in performance. At GEM, if you're not Kasey Kahne, it seems like you get the crap. At DEI they are pretty equal.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service