Robby Gordon (No. 7 Menards Dodge Charger) Finished 22nd

"Our car was really, really loose on re-starts with fresh tires and low pressures. We maintained all day. We were able to bring home a 22nd-place finish -- I wouldn't say a great day, but I won't say it was a bad day either."

Kasey Kahne (No. 9 Budweiser Dodge Charger) Finished 26th

"I can't even begin to tell you how frustrating today was for our team. "It seems like everything we did to the car today never really helped, especially on a shorter run. We struggled with the handling, but the guys never quit trying to adjust on the car and the team kept up its good pit work which helped on a day like today."

Patrick Carpentier (No. 10 Charter Dodge Charger) Finished 41st

"Long day. That's it, just a long day, spun out. Jimmie got close to me and took the air out somehow and just -- 'whooo'- spun around. I don't know if it's my fault or he got too close or lost it there anyway and that was it."

Kurt Bush (No. 2 Miller Lite Dodge Charger) Finished 34th

"Our day pretty much ended on the first lap out there. I thought I gave him (David Gilliland) the high line and plenty of room getting into the corner - he just washed up into me. We got back out and got the Lucky Dog, but we just weren't handling well enough to stay up on the lead lap. It was just on the razor's edge -- loose, tight, loose, and tight. We lost more laps when we had to pit late in the race to cut off the right-rear quarter panel. Looking at our Miller Lite Dodge after the race and seeing all the damage, I guess we should be proud just to be running at the finish."

Ryan Newman (No. 12 Alltel Dodge Charger) Finished 13th

"We had to play strategy, play catch up every time by not pitting when everybody else pitted and taking two (tires) when everybody else took four. We didn't have good enough car to keep up with them and that's the only way we could stay on the lead lap. It's disappointing."

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gordon Finishes 22nd at the Monster Mile

Dover, DE (September 22, 2008) – Starting in the 41st position for Sunday’s Camping World RV 400, Robby Gordon and the No. 7 Menards team knew they had their work cut out for them at the racetrack appropriately deemed “The Monster Mile.” With great teamwork and a little bit of luck, the team came away with a 22nd place finish that secured them a spot in the top-35 in owner’s points.

When the first caution flag fell on Lap 2, the No. 7 decided to stay out. With only one green flag lap run, it was just too early to see how the car would handle on a long green flag run. The second caution flag flew on Lap 11, and the No. 7 pitted for two tires and no adjustments – aimed to pick up valuable track position. This strategy played out as Gordon restarted in 29th position, and Gordon exclaimed “that worked out good.”

During the course of the green flag run, Gordon was a little too tight in the middle. He patiently waited until the next opportunity came to make changes, which occurred on Lap 64 when the No. 78 blew a right front tire. The No. 7 pitted for 4 tires and a track bar adjustment, aimed at helping repair Gordon’s tight condition.

When the race resumed, Gordon fought to stay on the lead lap for the majority of the run. The leaders were fast in clean air and eventually lapped the No. 7 on Lap 114.

Gordon had trouble on Lap 161 when he and the No. 26 made contact. Gordon spun but managed to keep his car off of the wall. He came down pit road, and the crew changed all four tires and sent him back out.

Gordon lost another lap on Lap 256 when he had to make an unscheduled pit stop under green after he felt a strong vibration and then realized he had a right rear flat.

The No. 7 Menards Dodge fought hard to recover from these unfortunate situations. As the race progressed, the team took advantage of every pit stop and made only minor adjustments to perfect the car’s handling. With just 60 laps remaining in the race, Gordon was running lap times faster than the leaders.

When the checkered flag fell on Sunday afternoon, Gordon brought his No. 7 Menards Dodge home in the 22nd position.

“We were able to improve our position steadily throughout the race and anytime you finish in the top-25 at a track as tough as Dover has proven to be, it’s a pretty good day,” Gordon said. “In a race with this many cautions, you consider yourself fortunate to be in one piece at the end. We showed great teamwork, avoided major problems and earned a solid finish. If we wouldn’t have spun nor had a flat tire, I am confident that we would have finished on the lead lap.”

The No. 7 team remains 35th in the Sprint Cup owner’s point standings after Sunday’s race at Dover International Speedway. Next weekend, Gordon and his team head to Kansas Speedway for the Camping World RV 400 presented by Coleman. Prior to the race in Kansas, the No. 7 team will have a two-day test at Lowe’s Motor Speedway in preparation for the upcoming race next month. Sunday’s race broadcast will air on ESPN, MRN and Sirius Satellite Radio beginning at 2:00pm (EST).
All said and done, I think it was a great race for RGM, especially recovering from the spin out when he got into the #26.
bump

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service