Everyone knows Dodge is backing out of the Truck series. It appears now Dodge will effect Nascar in other levels too. What this means for GEM is no additional money and perhaps even less support. Dodge stopped their primary sponsorship with GEM two years ago (estimated nearly $35 million per year between the 2 Dodge Dealer cars). With support unable to increase and compete with Toyota, Dodge could be facing another departure from Nascar.

GEM is looking to buy BDR & their Triad Engine shop. GEM plans to switch to Toyota with this deal. BDR would keep his Truck operation and switch his Cup program to a Nationwide program. GEM would take over the Triad and build all of BDR's engines along with GEM's teams.

The biggest attraction of BDR's team is the Triad engine shop. GEM could continue to build their own engines and become a large Toyota engine supplier.

Ganassi has appeared to run from the Dodge camp by switching to Toyota via MWR. The merger would allow MWR support and sponsorship to continue all 3 current teams and add Ganassi's #42 and driver Juan Pablo Montoya.

The Dodge teams have seen this coming, Ryan Newman even stated that the current status of Dodge and their lack of future commintment contributed to his decision to leave Penske.

Referring to GEM, Robby has stated, "They have a better deal and they think they can get out of the agreement." I guess we'll let a judge decide, if it ever goes to court. If GEM can agree to assume BDR & their Triad shop, settling with Gordon might be easier for GEM. If GEM agrees to terms with BDR before a court hearing, it would be very damaging for GEM's case. Look for a settlement.

With only Petty and Penske, Dodge will likely do all they can to keep these two teams, including sponsorship (Petty's #45) if necessary. Unless RGM decides to stay with Dodge. This would allow RGM to actually gain more support than he's currently getting. Since RGM doesn't build in-house Dodge engines, Penske (Jasper) would likely supply RGM for Dodge.

Jack Roush was very vocal that if Nascar allowed Toyota to race in Nascar's series it would strangel Ford, Chevy & Dodge. Roush insisted Toyota had deeper pockets and it would hold an unfair advantage over the other manufacturers. It would force Chevy & Ford to form alliance teams and would probably force Dodge out! So far it appears Roush was correct. Chevy & Ford have started forming super teams (Roush-Yates & Wood Bros for Ford and RCR-DEI, Hendrick-Stewart/Haas for Chevy).

It's no suprise Dodge teams are heading for Toyota. Toyota has 3 teams in the Chase, and only 1 team just outside the Top 35 in it's sophmore season.

The only Toyota defector has been Tony Stewart. Only time will tell if Tony made a bad decision.

Views: 111

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the record, the triad shop makes chassis for most of the Toyota teams, and I believe is seperate from the BDR engine program. It was well documented Triad built the chassis on the 00 MWR car that got destroyed at Texas...

As I stated I heard from North Carolina a month ago, its more likely RGM will be racing Fords than Dodges next year...
Perhaps, but I still hear RGM will be with either Dodge or Chevy next year...if Dodge, stays RGM and possibly adds Riggs (a GEM settlement might help with that effort) or a deal with DEI...Chevy
Purely speculation, but with GEM looking at BDR, Ganassi possibly merging with MWR, sudden delays with the new motor and dropping support in the truck series, it sounds more and more like Chrysler is pulling out of NASCAR. That's what happens when you're purchased by a private equity firm (Cerberus). It's all about the bonuses.
Speculation kicks ass !
Speculation is what helps keep this site alive
I wouldn't be 1% angry if RG left Dodge.
for many years robby problem has been his engins. as much as i hate to admit this i would be happy to se RGM switch to toyota, with all the mony toyota has i think RGM could make it as a single car team and quickly expand to multi cars.
with many teams thinking of moving to Toyota, they are currently supporting 9 cars, they might become over saturated. Red Bull is thinking of expanding, GEM potentially merging (taking over maybe) with BDR, Ganassi merging with MWR, that's at least 5 more cars to support. I don't know if RG would be able to find much help from the manufacturer. Stick it out with Dodge for one more year... see if the new motor is any good, align with Penske to get the Jasper motors... if nothing else RGM would be higher in the pecking order to get help and $ from Dodge (if Dodge is even in the position to help). Another manufacturer change for RGM would be like starting over for the third year in a row. Stick it out one more year and see what happens
I agree, unless a big deal (Menard and Robby buying DEI or Yates, for example) happens. If he's still on his own, stick with Dodge.
If this many teams do end up in Toyota's camp it won't be long before this is Toyota Cup. Same stuff they tried to pull in Indy car but Honda out smarted them and stole thier game.
Dodge is done in NASCAR.

Unless RGM has a deal with a major team (that actually WORKS OUT) he's just as well staying with Dodge for himself next season as he is trying to switch manufacturers again.
I agree. When Chrysler was bought by Cerberus, a private equity firm, the handwriting was on the wall. PE's don't have much patience and could give a shit about motorsports, tradition and put no stock in the "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" theory. It's all about the bottom line and ROI.

I'm not surprised there have been no grumblings out of the Penske camp. Roger keeps his cards close to the vest.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service