GEM to buy BDR? According to multiple sources, a deal is in the works for George Gillett, majority owner of Gillett Evernham Motorsports, to buy out Bill Davis' Sprint Cup operation — including the #22 team, the Toyota affiliation, Triad Racing Development and their engine shop. While Gillett could not be reached for confirmation, Gillett Evernham Motorsports Vice President and Managing Director of Competition Mark McArdle told FOXSports.com on Sunday that GEM was searching for a fourth car with a spot inside the top 35 in the owners standings. McArdle would not elaborate on which team or any possible terms, but Bill Davis has made it no secret in the garage that he is open to offers. "We're looking forward to having a fourth car next year to help us with our current business plans," said McArdle. "That's where we stand. To get a sponsor, they want to know that you're going to be there to race on Sunday." Although a deal has not yet been finalized, sources say Toyota has approved the plan. Davis will continue to field a Craftsman Truck Series team and add a Nationwide Series program to his High Point, N.C., operation. Davis, who was attending the debut NHRA event at zMax Dragway in Concord, N.C., could not be reached for comment. Sources in the garage said that Davis' current Cup driver, Dave Blaney, inquired last week about rides for next season.(

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

now we know why gem wanted out!!!
Whoa. GEM switching to Toyota? Dodge has already announced they're pulling out of the truck series; will this be the final nail in the coffin for Dodge's manufacturer support program? I can also see Penske switching to Toyota, too. Roger owns the oldest and largest Toyota dealership in the U.S. (Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA). Could be a good deal for GEM as long as they don't give carpetbagger Bill a seat on the board.
I dont think it mentioned them going to Toy, but that would seem reasonable considering what Dodge has been up to lately. Remember, Ray told the folks on Nascar Sirius radio that Dodge was months behind on their new motor, and he said Dodge may not have it ready by Daytona!!! Toyota here we come!
Also George Gillett has decided to deal with protests over his ownership of Liverpool (the soccer team, not the city) by... buying Bill Davis Racing and moving GEM from Dodge to Toyota. If true, while it'd be tempting to think of this as the rich getting richer it's not as if GEM has been blowing people off the track. Poster boy Kasey Kahne runs hot and cold, and everyone else under its auspices have far more often than not been in the happy to be here department.
GEM assumes that they can get out of the deal with RGM then? I can't believe GEM would be going to Toyota but more likely taking the rights to the #22 and allowing Davis to continue to run Toyotas in the truck series...
I think this means GEM will buy out the Toyota contract, not that GEM will go to Toyotas...
Gillett is the owner of the New England Patriots and as such has done a good job with and for the team. But somewhere in the back recesses of my mind I just never liked the idea of Robby being in bed with them! I KNOW he needs big money help and team mates but I just never like the Gillette idea. By his own admission Robby has always been like a cat and landed on his feet running so I'm sure he will come up with something to surprise us!
George Gillett does not own the New England Patriots. George Gillett owns the Montreal Canadians and is co-owner of Liverpool F.C. of the English Premier League (along with owning the majority of GEM). Robert Kraft owns the New England Patriots and the New England Reveloution of the MLS as well as Gillette Stadium where the teams play.
Oops, sorry, Mario, you're right! But I still don't like the idea of Robby being aligned with them!
or.. maybe Gillet jr buys the 22 and RGM .. then robby gets a 2 team operation running as a GEM satelite team.

I don't know.. just throwing out wild ideas
Gillette is the owner of the Montreal Canadiens, Bob Kraft is the owner of the N.E. Patriots, It's Gillete Stadium for the razor sponsership.
If all this is true Ganasi & MWR, GEM & BDR, and Toyota ends up the manufacture, do they lose there spot in the Bud Shoot-out? Top 6 of each Mfg make the race. if Robby stays with dodge he can make the shoot-out by default.

RSS

Newest Members

Latest Activity

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service