Tampa Bay Newsline

Robby Gordon will be 40 years old for next season's Daytona 500 - not a doomsday milestone by any means, but Gordon needs to start making things happen.

But first the bottom line is that Gordon needs to line up big sponsorship for next season. The benchmark is about $30 million, the budget that the top NASCAR Cup teams have to work with. The bare minimum, according to car owner Felix Sabates, is $22 million.

That's a lot of money for anyone to try to persuade a company to spend in the sport, particularly on a team that is still winless.

"I'm in a different situation than most owners, I don't have to pay a ton of money to the driver, " Robby joked. "I have the ability to operate for alot less than most owners, and we still turn a profit," Gordon added.

Sources close to Gordon indicate Jim Beam hasn't made a decision whether or not they will return in 2009, and Gordon is under the gun to get them back.

So it may be over-the-top for anyone to suggest that Gordon needs to be making plans to expand to a second team. Single-car teams don't have much chance in NASCAR these days.

But maybe Gordon can put together something for a second team, because it takes at least a two-car operation to have a prayer in this sport. Gordon still believes he can make it happen.

"We'd like to position ourselves to win races," Gordon said. "A second car is going to help in that. The thing is, who's going to pay for it, how are you going to do it, and what sponsors are going to be involved in it?"

Robby has had meeting with Jacques Villeneuve. "I think Jacques would be a good fit for RGM, but alot has to do with sponsorship. I know he and Barry are working hard to find a sponsorship package."

Gordon has also had metings with current Cup driver Scott Riggs. A formal announcement hasn't been made, but with Ryan Newman being introduced as Stewart-Haas' driver, it appears Riggs is out. "We have everything in place to support a 2nd team. I believe we can offer a program for a reasonable price. It depends on the desire of him running, the sponsors and budgets."

One hurdle for Gordon adding a 2nd team could be with his agreement with Gillett-Evernham Motorsports. The collaborative announcement Robby made in January has now been limited to a single agreement for the supply of engines only. The future of this agreement could be in jeopardy. Gordon has publicly been crittical of the fuel mileage and lack of horsepower of the Gillett-Evernham motors.

Gillett Evernham and Dodge successfully assisted Gordon in getting a penalty removed from Nascar over a unapporoved part. Not to mention, Dodge has a new motor program for 2009 that should be ready for teams to race this year. Early reports indicate these motors will be alot stronger and deliver more horsepower. "We've had reliable engines and soon we'll have the horsepower to match Toyota, and the other manufactures. Dodge will be back next year in a big way. We've been working very hard with Dodge to build the type of engines we need for these COT (Car of Tomorrow) cars." stated Ray Evernham.

Gordon has already dropped Chevrolet and Ford over lack of engine performance and level of factory support he received. If GEM decides not to renew Gordon's agreement for 2009, he could be looking for a new manufacture along with sponsorship.

TV analyst Larry McReynolds believes Gordon has the ability to suceed and can survive. "If anyone in that garage can do it, Robby can!" McReynolds procliamed. "Right now he needs to worry about keeping his team locked into the Top 35. Then he can spend the winter shopping for sponsors and be ready for Daytona. I'm sure Robby will find a way to make it all work." he added.

For Gordon's sake I hope McReyonlds is correct.

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't remember right now - who supplies Penske with engines? Could he possibly switch suppliers but still stay with Dodge? I have no idea if this would be a good idea, just throwing it out there.

Also, most of the info in this article is older news. The JV and Riggs speculation has been tossed around over the last couple of months. The "looking for sponsorship" quotes are from RG's video conference just prior to WG. I don't really remember GEM doing too much (other than admitting a mistake) to help Robby with nose-gate - Jim Beam did the most.

It's a well written article, and puts this stuff together plausibly, but about the only new thing I learned reading it was that the GEM relationship is down to just motors.
Penske uses Jasper engines.
It's pretty much an in-house program.
I agree it's hard to share info if you're not running the GEM chasis.

But, look at Haas, they ran Hendrick engines and chasis and they still aren't doing well.

I think Tony Stewart said it best when he talked about starting his own team, "I learned from Joe at JGR, it's about the people around you. You have to hire people that get along with each other and work well together. It's about the organization, not just one team!"

I believe Robby had that mentality when he started his team the first year, unfortunately he expiremented with a engine deal that killed his chances. Had Robby worked out a deal with RCR to get engines that first year he would have been a threat every weekend. He had solid people hired. When you don't make races, good people look elsewhere.

Thank God for the Top 35 rule. Robby now needs to stay inside it.
I agree. Most of this is news that's laready kinda of know to us, other than the GEM agreement.

That answers alot of questions though. I was wondering why Robby wasn't getting more assistance from GEM. I know on the scanner at during The Daytona 500 he was racing like he was team mates with teh GEM drivers. Lately he says comments like, "The #9, #19, and #10 aren't having issues liek we are! (In refernce to horsepower and fuel mileage).

The other is he says he's still making a profit. I know we worry about sponsors on here and the fact he hasn't had other companies step up. Guess if he's making money it's not as bad as it seems...unless he looses Jim Beam.

Good to hear he is actually talking to Riggs, but I think Riggs wanted to get back to Dodge and the agreement with GEM could effect that.
do you guys think JB will be back next year, i mean robby and them seem to have a pretty good relationship...?
I wouldnt doubt for one second that Ganassi is talking to Jim Beam and their might be others talking to them as well. I have to believe that if Robby drops out of the top 35 by the end of the year that JB will be moving elsewhere. If this Happens then pray Menards doesnt jump ship aswell.
It would be nice to see Riggs and Villinueve both get full time sponsorship and both want to come to RGM. That would give RGM 3 cars and only one without sponsorship. Ironically, Robbys car? LOL!!!!

All joking aside, how awsome would that be???
RGM is on the top of JV's list once(or IF) he gets a sponsor.

Beam is in too deep with RGM, they aren't going anywhere.
Beam will be back.... RGM has the most affordable sponsor deal in cup...
HiFly... Robby may have the best per race price for a sponsor but if you don't run up front what does your money buy? In Robby's case he usually gets some air time especially at the big races like Daytona and Talledga and the Road Courses. JB knows this so I argee with you that they will be back in the hopes that they get good air time at those five out of the 13 they sponsor. Maybe Courvoisier will sign up for Sonoma. You know cognac for the upper crust in place of wine!

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service