International Herald- Monday August 11, 2008

Poor Judgement Costs Gordon

No Gordon didn't spin Ambrose out again and he didn't throw his helmet at Michael Waltrip, but his 27th place finish might have been worse than a penalty from Nascar. Robby Gordon has been very impressive at Watkins Glen and looked poised to make a challenge for the win in Happy Hour. Gordon turned the 2nd fastest lap in the final practice. Robby started 31st due to qualifying being rained out on Friday, but most thought Robby would be up front in the end.

Gordon and his crew started the race with what they thought was an overheating problem, but turned out that Gordon read the wrong guage. Gordon overcame that mishap and started to make somewhat of a charge until his team decided to pit early anticpating rain. The rain never came and Gordon raced the majority of the race a lap down. Once Robby was in position to gain his lap back there was little time to make up any ground.

You have to wonder how a driver of his caliber could read a guage wrong. Robby has raced in the Baja, Indy, Dakar and Nascar. How does a driver make that bad of a mistake in one of the few tracks he's favored as a winner.

You have to wonder what his crew saw on their radar the other 42 cars didn't see. Chad Knaus would have had driver Jimmie Johnson already in taking fuel, along with the other Chase contenders. No other crew was expecting rain like Gordon's crew did. It was a judgement call that turned out to be very poor. That call took Robby out of contention.

It costs Robby Gordon alot of points and a much needed shot at a win. It was Gordon's worst finish at Watkins Glen since 2001 when a camera caught fire inside Robby's car.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No shit, you gotta bust his balls then. You think he could crack off a pic or two during yellows.
Yea, that rain deal is a bunch of BS. I didn't have the impression that Robby backed off because of the overheating either, as a matter of fact, he didn't seem at all bothered by the 250 reading - almost like his brain knew that was oil temp even though he said the water was 250. It's not like he started charging after he realized his mistake. A couple of things I can't remember: what position was he in when he radioed about the water temp being 250 and what laps did he make his pit stops. Anybody know?
I deleted this
so, going to the back of the pack was somehow part of the plan. By lap 3 he was like 40th or so, eh?
If we got a timely yellow Robby would have been in good shape. When he was a lap down it looked like he could catch the 20 on older tires.
No doubt this weekend sucked, but I'm with Mike - seems like a caution in the early part of the race (after our pit stop) would have a) kept us on the lead lap and, b) isn't that far fetched. When was the last WG race to go so long without a caution at the beginning of the race? They had to come up with some strategy that involved 3 stops - why not stop short in the beginning so you have all race to make up track position? The only thing that's going to screw you is if the race goes green forever and you end up a lap down. Even then, its a road course and very few cars go a lap down so even in your worst case, you get a lucky dog but you get it early in the race so there's time to make it up. Alas, we're talking RGM here, so you have to plan for the worse-than-worst case...
I understand the frustraion of the crew members. They have been working very long hours,and Watkins Glen was supposed to be the payoff race for them. I am still assured that the equipment is good, the staff is working good together and working hard. They just need Robby to be a driver again.
Nothing! No post race quotes, no press release, Nothing! It's usually quiet before the storm. I hope not, but I wound't be suprised if something doesn't happen soon (Walter released, Cancels agreement with GEM, something) again, I hope not. What this team needs is consitency! Consistent Top 25 runs, then Top 20, Then Top 15 and so on. You can't put everything into 1 race.

To hear Robby talking before the race he sounded like he knew he was going to win and great things would soon follow. He mentioned Scott Riggs and a possible 2nd team. He mentioned how onyl a few teams had won all the races this year and how huge it would to be among that company of teams. He laid the whole thing out there for everyone to be ready to get behind him in 2009 after he won the race. Now what? He had his worst finish since 2001 and wasn't even a factor all day. 31st to 40th in 3 laps! I seriously was expecting 31st to 20th in 3 laps. He had the 2nd fastest car in Happy Hour. He was running lap times as good as the lead 5 cars. How do you mess up that bad on a stage you set up?

I hope he finishes well at Michigan, but if I hear "Walter I'm loose!" on Lap 3 and he falls back to 38th or so I'm probably just done with watching the race!
Consistency is the problem... RGM needs to be consistently better.
You can't put everything into 1 race.

Thats silly. If you read the Uprising at all before it was shut down, everyone put everything into TWO races....you're totally forgetting Sears Point.
Not people "MEEE", just the faceless bashers. Once again, if your going to qoute somebody, please do it right. That wasn't general statement, it was pointed at clueless finger pointing individuals, & deservingly so.
JMO, but I wouldn't have much patience for armchair CC'if I worked somewhere between 70-100hrs in a week,(with families at home) only to hear people (who should be supporting you) busting you balls.
Touché

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service