International Herald- Monday August 11, 2008

Poor Judgement Costs Gordon

No Gordon didn't spin Ambrose out again and he didn't throw his helmet at Michael Waltrip, but his 27th place finish might have been worse than a penalty from Nascar. Robby Gordon has been very impressive at Watkins Glen and looked poised to make a challenge for the win in Happy Hour. Gordon turned the 2nd fastest lap in the final practice. Robby started 31st due to qualifying being rained out on Friday, but most thought Robby would be up front in the end.

Gordon and his crew started the race with what they thought was an overheating problem, but turned out that Gordon read the wrong guage. Gordon overcame that mishap and started to make somewhat of a charge until his team decided to pit early anticpating rain. The rain never came and Gordon raced the majority of the race a lap down. Once Robby was in position to gain his lap back there was little time to make up any ground.

You have to wonder how a driver of his caliber could read a guage wrong. Robby has raced in the Baja, Indy, Dakar and Nascar. How does a driver make that bad of a mistake in one of the few tracks he's favored as a winner.

You have to wonder what his crew saw on their radar the other 42 cars didn't see. Chad Knaus would have had driver Jimmie Johnson already in taking fuel, along with the other Chase contenders. No other crew was expecting rain like Gordon's crew did. It was a judgement call that turned out to be very poor. That call took Robby out of contention.

It costs Robby Gordon alot of points and a much needed shot at a win. It was Gordon's worst finish at Watkins Glen since 2001 when a camera caught fire inside Robby's car.

Views: 31

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must have been napping, don't remember rain being mentioned regarding a pit stop, all I kept hearing was "strategy" and how important it was. Their strategy totally sucked.
I might get slammed for this so here it is. There are the rumors of Robbys personal life. I am not here to discuss that, except is this what could be causing him to not think straight. Could it be affecting his whole team? Is the whole crew on pins and needles, not wanting to say the wrong thing. We know how good of a driver he is and I know there have been part problems however at times he seems to have his mind else where.
yeah don't be sucking any cock.
Today is Tuesday. Usually the RGM site has Robby's post race comments posted. Has anyone noticed that since Pocono, they are missing! Did RGM fire there internet updater?
Rob "media guy" Harris has been lacking as of his updates, pics, & so on for a while now. Lets just hope it's because he's far too busy courting potential sponsors.
That after all was one of a few reasons RuR got shelved.
Hi Mike:
I've got to comment on your statement about why the RuR went down. I am sure there are many reasons, including people venting their personal opinions and the fact that the sponsors may have been monitoring the site and didn't like what they saw. I got to meet Robby at Pocono two weeks ago (I wore my Uprising t-shirt partially to show support, but partially to kind of put it to him - after all, by the time I got my shirt in the mail, along with the window decals and license plate, the Uprising was already taken down! A great waste of my hard-earned money.) I asked Robby if the Uprising would ever come back and why he took it down. He pretty much gave me the company line that it was due to lack of sponsors and that it would never be back. By the way, he also kind of gave me a sheepish "sorry" about the waste of money on the merchandise. I guess the old saying holds true, "it is what it is."

Side note: Glad TOG started the Planet. I wouldn't know half of what's going on without it!
I was there and the W.G.'s track is on top off what is almost a mountain. I could see a hundred miles away and I couldn't see 1 rain cloud all day. I heard all day it was going to rain but I could tell by 3pm there was no way it would. Earlier in the week I could see rain 1 1/2 to 2 hr's away the spotter on the front stretch should have known. R.G.M. will have a hard time winninng a road course with the worst fuel mileage in Spirnt Cup and N.W.
Was there any mention of rain over the scanner? This past weekend was not what anyone wanted or thought it would be.
It was on the radio (not sure who it was this weekend MRN?) but they reported when Robby pitted (the one where he lost his lap) that the pit reporter was told they felt rain would be a factor and Robby was coming back in and packing the car with fuel. They said a few team members were looking at a radar at the team hauler and was confident rain was heading that way. By pitting they would be able to go further than most teams. The announcer even said "Could Gordon's team be trying a pit strategy like Ambrose team did yesterday and roll the dice to steal a win." The other announcer stated, "It's a pretty big gamble this early, Robby has a very good car."
Too bad the radar they were looking at was frozen from Friday. Should have re-booted that satellite.lol
Rob Harris was the front stretch spotter. Both days.
Rob, Bob, Robby....maybe too many "Roberts" could that be a new excuse for them? The rain thing isn't working. I wish RG would just stand up and say "hey I fucked up" We all do it from time to time. He is just a mere human and humans are prone to mistakes. The key is to learn from those mistakes and somehow, I don't think he is. What he does in his private life is of no concern to me. IF what he does in his private life is causing his business to suffer, then he isn't much of a businessman and he is destined to fail. I don't know what the problem is, but something isn't right at RGM. I'm getting out the old pompoms and hoping for a good weekend. Getting out the Kyle voodoo doll too.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service