Hoping this is just a knee jerk reaction and not and actual negotiation process. Hearing RGM is in discussions with Red Bull Racing & MWR about the possibility of switching to Toyota, but will wait until he tests Dodge's new engine package and sits down with GEM.

RGM has been fighting poor fuel mileage and lack of horsepower all year with the engines they receive from GEM. Dodge has their new 2009 engine coming soon and Gordon might wait and see if this cures his problems. The GEM engines have been very reliable with only one engine related problem in Cup due to a wiring problem and one overheating issue this past weekend in the Nationwide series.

As for the possibility of switching to Toyota:

Red Bull has shown alot of progress in only it's 2nd year in Cup racing. Brian Vickers is currently 17th in the standings, while teammate AJ Allmendinger has climbed back into the Top 35 the hard way.

MWR has faired alot better it's 2nd year in Cup by keeping the #55 and #44 inside the Top 35, the #00 recently fell outside the Top 35 and driver Michael McDowell has been replaced by driver Mike Skinner at Michigan to evalute the team.

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont know if RG would go back to RedBull (he was sponsered by them in '05-'06 with off-road) Joe Parsons at Monster was very accomodating for his Dakar and off road efforts, BUT $$ talks, im sure RB has alot more $ then Monster.
Red Bull,& sushi don't mix! Bad idea, if they're contimplating going anywhere put the bow-tie back on.
Fact: when Dodge's new motor does debut, it will take some work to get it right too. Just like the R07 Chevy.
Hopefully he won't let Menard build the engines if he goes back to Chevy. Remember all the exploders he had.
Can he switch to toyota this season. I like him driving a Dodge, but the motors are just terrible... If/when Dodge changes to the new motor, will RGM still be getting GEM's shitty hand me down motors? If so, then to hell with them.. go to toyota and get a head start on next season!
that was sarcsim right?
I'm sure the Nascar agreement wouldn't have any effect on his Off Road deal. If he has a agreement like the one with GEM, it would probably be just purchasing engines, doubt sponsorship would have any effect. The only thing I see when you look at the manufactures and engines, there's not much of a better opportunity unless you build your own or look outside Nascar. Robby did that his first year and it was a disaster. With Ford it's Roush/Yates motors and he would be about 8th in line when they hand them out, With Hendrick and Haas he would still be about 7th in line, RCR/DEI - he would be about 7th or 8th in line, Toyota with JGR about 6th or 7th, TRD about 8th. When you look at Dodge- GEM about 5th or 6th, Penske 4th and Ganassi maybe 3rd. The situation with Dodge still looks best. They have a new engine coming so hopefully it will be better.

Ford- Roush -Yates (Wood Bros)
Chevy- Hendrick (Haas & Front Row), RCR - DEI,
Dodge- GEM (RGM & Petty), Penske / Jasper, Ganassi -Ernie Elliott
Toyota- JGR (HOF), TRD- (Red Bull, BDR, MWR)
If your Jack Roush and Yates has a partnership with you to build engines, the engines are dyno tested before they're used. If some engines are a fraction better I'm sure those will go to the Roush line up first. Carl has to be getting their best right now, then Kenseth, Biffle, Regan and then McMurray, next in line is Yates two drivers with Kvapil and Gilliland. Then the Wood Bros have been Yates motor boys for years so they're next in line. So by my count that's 7 maybe even 8 drivers ahead in the pecking order before RGM would get his motor.

I seriously doubt they just build a bunch of motors and then ship them out to whoever and just whatever motor goes in their cars was luck of the draw. Those motors are closely measured and tested.

I'm sure there's a difference in a Hendrick and a RCR/DEI engine, but I can assure you the motor going in Juniors car is not the same exact motor going in Mears.
You are 100% on the money. In the 90's I had friends who built the Buick V6 for Indy cars. Scott Brayton owned the company and ran the Buick motor his company built. He got first pick.
Regardless of whether Rob switches or not, I like the fact that this is coming out now - he's not announcing a switch - But what he's telling Dodge and GEM is stop giving me the motors out of Fred Sanford's junk yard or I'm out of here.

It doesn't sound as much of a knee-jerk as the Dodge switch - It sounds like Watkins Glen was the last straw and he's not waiting until January to start looking around.

Each time Rob switched makes, it was all about the pecking order. Other than Gibbs, the pecking order for Toyota is up for grabs.

Unlike Petty which has a loyalty to Dodge, Rob is in a position to give GEM the finger.
As much as I hate to say it you are correct. for some reason POS is a sponsor magnet.
wake me up when the bad things go away.
You are in for a long sleep.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service