From Jayski....

Gillett Evernham interested in free agent drivers: Tuesday Gillett Evernham Motorsports owner Ray Evernham spoke to Sirius Speedway host Dave Moody about the possibility of bringing Ryan Newman or any other free agent drivers to his race team for next year.
Host, Dave Moody: "Are you now, have you ever, or do you anticipate active negotiations with Ryan Newman for a spot in your stable next year?"
Ray Evernham: "We have not negotiated with Ryan but we have put out the feeler that we would be very interested, certainly, in talking to Ryan about the future as would probably all the other car owners but we've not spoken with Ryan or negotiated with him. But, yes, we are interested in talking to him."
Moody: "So if your phone rings and he does [call] you back are we talking about a fourth car?"
Evernham: "Mr. Gillett and I would love to expand to four cars. So if that's going to happen it has to happen quickly but there are opportunities to grow Gillett Evernham Motorsports. But, again, that depends on drivers and sponsors and there are sponsors available with the proper drivers."
Moody: "Would it be safe to assume then that Ryan Newman might not be the only top notch driver in the final year of his contract that you might have reached out [to] at this point?"
Evernham: "Yeah, absolutely, but there's no sense in doing a fourth team unless it can add to what we're already building and to start a fourth team without the proper sponsorship or a driver that can add to the program just doesn't make sense. There are a couple of drivers available and there are some sponsors out there that are talking to other teams, too, besides us to put packages together. But if we were to be able to put that package together to strengthen Gillett Evernham we'd certainly do it. The guys that are out there that have been talking to people, certainly that we have spoken to or are interested in speaking [to], are the same guys everybody else has talked to: Ryan Newman, Casey Mears and Martin Truex are the guys that are in the hot rumors right now."(Sirius NASCAR Radio)(7-23-2008)

Views: 47

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also well said Mike, once again were on the same page. Besides RGM already has a shop full of RGM chassis. It's better to only buy a couple of GEM's, to learn from as opposed to buying a fleet of 'em. Even if said chassis' are sold at a wholesale price.
Yeah why not, I mean you only know YOUR chassis until you actually have chassis from others teams either in from of you or on the track to learn from. Until then you don't know how you stack up. Imagine if RCR could buy a few Hendrick Chassis at wholesale and put em through their paces to decide if he likes his better or to go with Hendrick. He would then have the ability to take some of what he learned from Hendricks' chassis and maybe add those things to his chassis, making them even better. It is a learning tool that most teams do not have. I don't think Hendrick is going to let RCR buy a few wholesale chassis any time soon!
I think if I was Robby I would like the RGM chassis better because it's already paid for.
GEM and RGM are two different teams. They are 'competitors',although RGM buys Motors and technical info from GEM.Once people realize that RGM is his own deal, folks won't be so 'confused'
A similar case can be made about Toyota teams. Other than JGR what are they doing?

RGM needs to develop some consistency to get out of the 30's and changing brands every year is not going to help that.
A similar case can be made about Toyota teams. Other than JGR what are they doing?

Brian Vickers is knocking on the door of making The Chase and looks to be a pretty solid threat on any of the itermediate / "cookie cutter" tracks.
except for taxes.......

:)
(In my best "Curly" impression)... Oh, a Wise guy eh? :D
Alex, I gotta agree with Rick because it's the same thing I've been preaching for sooo long. If there are 2 things RGM needs, they are
1. funding
2. consistancy
RGM is never going to get anywhere if the only constant is change.
We can't keep going to the same tracks, with new CC's, aero pkg's, drivetrains, etc, etc.
Example, if you come to a 1 1/2 mile track, for a 400 mile event, with brand new everything, the only thing you can be sure of is a 267 lap test session...on the sponsors dime.
problem ain't the manufacture, or the camp he's workin with bro.
Can we PLEASE have some consistancy!!! I just think that making changes soo fast will not accomplish anything because you are allways behind the curve. Switching manufacturors at this point would be a knee-jerk reaction, not the solution to the problem. This sport is built on consistancy and time spent with the same people. You have to give people time to get comfortable in their roles so that they can learn them and excell at them. I mean dont think that dodge isn't looking at the points standings and trying to make a better engine packag for their teams, the object is to get noticed. That goes for the sponsors, teams and manufacturors as well. I dont think they want to sink money into an operation and watch it sink, I don't think you can look at dodge over the last few years (Based on drivers and teams) and judge the future. The sport is changing quick, toyota prooved that, Dodge can do the same. Mike I think you have an unfair advantage with the time zone difference and all because I allways end up posting these things behind you!!!
I agree Mike, but I can also see why RG has jumped around. The sport is built on consistency, but the sponsor situation and the need to have results NOW, not two years from now, is a major factor in decision making. It is a "catch 22" of sorts - you're damed if you do and damned if you don't. RGM can't operate without sponsorship dollars, those dollars are getting harder and harder to come by, so RG has to produce results now in order to keep his current sponsors and attract new ones. On the other hand, if he could stick it out and build a consistent program, that would probably be the best for the development of RGM, but there won't be an RGM if there are no sponsors.
I guess it all comes down to tough decisions - and sticking your neck out there and taking a chance. Sink or swim as they say. (Swim, Robby, Swim!!! lol)

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service