2011 DAKAR RALLY CHAMPION, NASSER AL-ATTIYAH, WILL DEFEND TITLE IN 2012 IN A ROBBY GORDON HUMMER

Charlotte, N.C. (December 6, 2011) –
Winner of the 2011 Dakar Rally, Nasser Al-Attiyah confirmed that he will join Robby Gordon and his off-road team in the 2012 edition of the Dakar Rally. Driving one of the highly-modified HUMMERs sponsored by his native country of Qatar, Al-Attiyah will compete for his second consecutive overall Dakar Rally victory. Should he conquer the South American desert once again, he will be only the second driver to triumph in two different manufactures; Ari Vatanen did so in 1990-1991.

Al-Attiyah has an impressive racing resume and is an accomplished cross-country and classic rally racer. He has won seven FIA Middle East Rally Championships titles since 2003 and collected 13 stage wins in the infamous Dakar Rally from 2009 to 2011.

"Teaming with Robby Gordon and driving a HUMMER is fantastic because it's a new challenge for me. I'm proud of being able to represent Qatar in this year’s Dakar Rally," Al-Attiyah said.

Lucas Cruz, who sat alongside Carlos Sainz for the 2010 Dakar win, will be his co-driver.

“To have Nasser as a teammate in this year’s Dakar Rally is a huge boost for our team. He brings the excitement and experience of a champion to our team. I personally take it as an honor that he chose our team to defend his 2011 overall win. Between my SPEED Energy HUMMER and his Qatar HUMMER, we have a strong team, cars, and drivers capable of winning the Rally,” commented Robby Gordon.

Views: 3435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Exactly what I was thinking even though I'm sure Robby is team #1 so Nasser will be carrying the spare wheel bearing I'm guessing.

Also, I just wonder how much time, if any, Nasser has spent in the Hummer getting used to it?

Great news for Robby and team though having a great teammate and sponsor on the second Hummer.

I have to think with Nasser being returning champ and the cost of buying a ride it will be more like the factory teams with both cars running for the win. Support will have to be worked out in the next week or so, but I believe Nasser is out to repeat not play support. It could be that as the race progresses whoever has the best shot at the podium runs #1 and the other plays backup for the best of the team, better one on the podium than none.You gotta know Robby wants the win but a podium finish by either is a win for RGM and right now proving he has a competetive program is what will draw potiential sponsors.

EDIT: Nvm...

I am curious as to who the nav. might be for Robby.

Kellon Walch

excellent thanks splat!

Way to go Robby, is all about team work!!!

Congrats to both Hummers and good luck on the South America Dakar Race.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service