Join in & discuss the 2012 King Of The Hammers. Qualifying is on Wednesday , 2-8-12 ( at 7:00pm/et) & the race is on Friday, 2-10-12. Live video feeds & tracking links can be found on our KING OF THE HAMMERS page.

Views: 8120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Robby back at KOH in 2013......Twitter#
To bad for Robby, I was there at chocolate thunder yesterday if you weren't the first 3 drivers thru, the others had no chance of winning, it was a parking lot. Stopped by the hauler and picked up a sweatshirt.
Attachments:

View from the top of Chocolate Thunder yesterday.

What I am hearing now is that there was a LS7 that was not finished in time....Had to run a Crate Motor.

Many of engines have been lost in this race

Posted by Torchmate's Bill Kunz, on pirate4X4:

"That motor never wanted to pull 3rd from the day we put it in. The 550hp LS2 that we originally put in the Torchmate TTB car blew up at Miller Motorsports Park last season. I had a lot going on right then including the sale of the business. You can see my dilemma as dumping a bunch of $$$ into a new motor right at that particular point would not have been a smart move. Many people wondered why I decided to put that LS1 in it, but it was that or let it sit. I promised JT a car for the year and wanted to live up to that.

Robby and I only started working together a couple of weeks ago when he got back from Dakar. I had no intention of running the TTB car at KOH this year for a few reasons. I had Samco scheduled to tear the car down to the frame and put a new motor in it, but we were in no hurry.

I know Robby had a lot of tough calls to make in the last week or so as to what to focus on. I give him a ton of credit. He had to learn how to crawl, prep and shakedown the car, fix all the stuff that broke which would have been caught during prep, and make the call as to which motor to run knowing that there would have been no guarantee that a motor swap could have been done in time, and the whole time knowing that our entire community would be watching his every move. That qualifying run gave us all a little taste of what he can do.

We have talked since the race. We are both bummed about the motor failing, but we knew from the beginning it was an issue we had no time to fix. Considering all the circumstances I don't think there are any regrets over the decisions made. We did what we could here in the time we had and so did he once the car got to him. It goes to show how serious he was taking this race that he went to the extent he did to be competitive. No question the TTB car will be much better prepared for next year.

I am glad to have gotten to know Robby. He is a good guy that works awfully hard. Lincoln Electric Motorsports has been working with him for over ten years and now I know why. Torchmate Racing couldn't be any happier with its newest team member as well. I look forward to working with Robby Gordon Motorsports for many years to come."

WWW.TORCHMATE.COM

thanks for posting this sounds like a good thing but I have never been a 2nd place is the first to loose person... know your what you think you can do with what you have... push it as hard as you can and do your best..... and then what you end up with is what you end up with... and learn what you can learn to do better next time... so sounds like a good outing and good time

WJM, nice find,thanks.If Bill Kunz is happy and Robby wants to do this event again,it was a success.There was a good crowd and the inter-web broadcast had over 30k watching at the peak.KoH announcers claimed the peak number blew away the old high number.Was it due to Robby? or growing interest in the genre? Probably yes to both.

Thanks WJM

Thanks WJM this is great it is a shame things didn't work out this outing but with any luck we'll see Robby in this car again. The web coverage was great it would be something to see SCORE or BITD do the same thing with some of thier loop races

The motor didn't work from day 1... Time to fix the problem at that point working around the clock.....no excuse

The motor ran, just not to the level they wanted for competition. If you think about it they had 7 days to prep this car for the race, on top of their existing schedule. The fact that it was out there and running was impressive knowing their time schedule, but to say they didn't try their hardest to put together a competitive vehicle is just rude.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service