Join in here and discuss all the happy hour practice & raceday action for the 2012 Daytona 500.

MONDAY , FEBRUARY 27th

RACEDAY  12:00pm/et - ( TV - FOX )

TOP F.A.Q

1. Full race ? YES
2. Sponsors ? SPEED Energy/MENARDS/MAPEI
3. Crew Chief ? Miles Stanley
4. Must Qualify On Time ? NOW QUALIFIED
5. Souvenir Hauler ? NO

LIVE GARAGE CAM

Views: 53740

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you missed the part that i wanted to be the first to say it! LOL

gotcha.

I used to like Nascar, Dakar really messed that up, keeping up with this crap is no comparison to keeping up with the Hummer. Just imagine what it would be like to have live TV coverage of Dakar...

I just flipped in Speed. 43rd, is he really going to try and get in on time or race his way in? GIving it's Robby probably both.

From RG on Thursday:

"I don't think we'll be rocket-fast in qualifying here, but when it comes time to race we'll be okay. But we've got to race our way in. And I've missed the race before trying to race my way in; we finished fifth in the 150 a few years ago but still had to go home. That's frustrating. But I'm not going to complain about it.
"We wouldn't be outside the top-35 if we hadn't parked the car a few times last year. But we just couldn't afford to run the car. There is a catch that comes with this thing.
"If we could run the car, we're a top-25 team easily. But we can't afford to run the car."

I agree 100% TOG. I have been following Robby since my son and I saw him Mid Ohio many years ago when he was just one of a few that stopped in the paddock after the race to give him an autograph. He was at the most then 8 and is 27 now. A pure racer and what most folks don't realize, a pretty astute businessman. Can't wait til Thursday!

If i read the rules correctly, RG will be in the second twin but the 21 will be in the 1st. will need to find another good partner for the last few laps

thought it was based on how they qualify ?

GATORADE DUEL AT DAYTONA

The Gatorade Duel at Daytona is the largest-attended weekday sporting event in America. The two 150-mile qualifying races will determine the starting lineup for the Daytona 500, "The Great American Race."

From 1959-1968, the races were 100 miles in length; beginning in 1969, the distance was extended to 125 miles; and the current length was implemented in 2005.

The Daytona 500 uses a different qualifying procedure than any other race in the world. On qualifying day, the fastest two cars will solidify their starting spots for the Daytona 500, earning the pole and outside pole positions, respectively.

The fastest qualifier will earn the pole for both the Daytona 500 and the first 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race. In addition to the polesitter, the odd-number positions (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.) of the highest-ranked 35 finishers in the previous year's Sprint Cup Series car owner points standings will be assigned to the first qualifier.

The second-fastest qualifier earns the outside pole for the Daytona 500 and will start on the pole for the second 150-mile Gatorade Duel qualifying race. In addition to the second-fastest qualifier, the even-number positions (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.) of the highest-ranked 35 finishers in the previous year's Sprint Cup Series car owner points standings will be assigned to the second qualifier.

The lineup for each qualifying race will be set based upon the qualifying speeds in the time trials for all cars, including those who are among the highest-ranked 35 in the final 2007 car owner point standings. The highest-ranked 35 designation does not determine the car's starting position, only the assignment of its 150-mile qualifying event.

Additional cars that were not among the highest-ranked 35 in the previous year's Sprint Cup Series car owner points will be alternated between the first and second 150-mile qualifying events using an odd-even format. The odd-number positions will be assigned to the first qualifier while the even-number positions will be assigned to the second qualifier. The odd-even positions are not determined by where the car qualified in the overall field, but their specific qualifying order among those cars not part of the highest-ranked 35 group.

A maximum of 66 cars will be permitted to compete between the two qualifying races, and all cars must compete in one of these events to be eligible for the Daytona 500.

Starting positions for the Daytona 500 will be designated for the highest-ranked 35 positions from the previous year's Sprint Cup Series car owner point standings from each qualifier, the two-highest finishing cars in each qualifier not among that highest-ranked 35 group and the two front-row qualifiers. The balance of the 43-car field will be filled by the fastest remaining qualifiers who have not earned a starting position, with the exception of the 43rd position which will be assigned to an eligible former or current Sprint Cup Series champion. Should there not be an eligible champion, the position will be assigned to the next fastest qualifier not in the field.

Dale Earnhardt leads all drivers with 12 victories in this event, including a remarkable 10-year winning streak from 1990-99. Cale Yarborough ranks second with six wins.

Only seven times has the winner of a Gatorade 125-mile race gone on to win the Daytona 500. Fireball Roberts was the first to do so, in 1962. Yarborough did it twice, in 1977 and 1984. Bill Elliott (1985), Bobby Allison (1988), Sterling Marlin (1995) and Earnhardt (1998) also have accomplished the feat.
All

Qualifying Procedure for the Gatorade Duels/Daytona 500:
Pole Day: This “locks in” the first two positions – the front row – for the Daytona 500. It also establishes the starting orders for the Gatorade Duel at Daytona, which are two 150-mile qualifying races for the Daytona 500.

The fastest car earns the pole for the Daytona 500 AND the pole for the first Gatorade Duel race.

The second-fastest car earns the outside pole for the Daytona 500 AND the pole for the second Gatorade Duel race.

The Gatorade Duel at Daytona: These two 150-mile qualifying races set positions 3-39 for the Daytona 500.

A combined total of 66 cars will be allowed into the two Gatorade Duel races.

Cars must compete in one of the Gatorade Duel races, in order to race in the Daytona 500.

Odd-number finishers in the final car owner point standings from the previous season (1st, 3rd, 5th, etc.) are in the first Gatorade Duel race.

Even-number finishers in the final car owner point standings from the previous season (2nd, 4th, 6th, etc.) are in the second Gatorade Duel race.

Additional qualified cars that weren’t in the final top 35 are alternated between the two Gatorade Duel fields using an odd-even format.

I'm so confused!
!

As Robby fans we can chant,dance,hope,wish,pray for rain tomorrow to wash out qualifying.That would be a way to make the race if Robby isn't one of two make it positions in the duals.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service