Quotes from Stage 9 of the 2012 Dakar Rally

Robby Gordon - WINNER!

" It was a very good special for us again. Now it's just a waiting game to see how soon Peterhansel comes behind me. On the transfer stage, I think we had him beat by about a minute and a half. But we need more than a minute and a half, so I pushed very hard on the last section, as hard as I could go the whole time and it will be interesting to see how much time we put on him because we pushed, like qualifying hard, not really knowing where you're going. We had a couple of big scary moments. For us, we've got to make time. We're in a different position to him. He has to conserve his time and I've got to make it. We've got four days left, four real days of racing left and the Hummer's strong. 19 seconds? He made a lot of time up on me, then. I can't believe he could catch us there, because we were going crazy. So he's a madman; if he beats us, he's a madman. Madder than me! "

Nasser Al Attiyah - DNF

COMING SOON

Johnny Campbell

Coming Soon

Views: 3269

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RG is definitely more of a madman than "Peter". BTW, whats this I hear about a penalty for Peterhansel?

302 - Stephane PETERHANSELWe've been beaten fair and square

We limited the damage a bit, because it was still a special in the middle of the desert and rather tough. It depends on which special, but for a while we've been beaten fair and square. When the Hummers don't have any problems, they are a bit quicker than us. We're going to fight to hold on to the slender lead we have over him. I started to wonder if Nasser was having technical problems when I saw that he wasn't catching me up. It's true that we didn't see him all day long. It means that Gordon is on his own now and for us that makes things a little bit better. There are flaws with the Hummers. I just hope that we'll be able to take advantage of them.

And the flaw in your mini is it's slower than the hummer, it would appear.

X2

There are flaws if you push it too hard. RG has been running the Hummer for many years now, he knows what it can do, and what will make it break.

For the record, the only Hummer to have issues in this Dakar is the Qatar Scud Missile, Robby hasn't pulled over for much except to tow Nasser.

you mean besides Robby having a serp.belt / alternator issue early same as Nasser today?

Yes,, but Robby was man enough to fix it and keep going,, not throw in the towel and quit like a spoiled little B!+CH!!!!!!!!

I got your flaw bee-atch....

From Dakar.com

"...In the car category, American Robby Gordon finally reacquainted himself with triumph on the Dakar, by winning the 9th stage, 1'38” ahead of general standings leader Stephane Peterhansel. Absorbed in a day-long chase after the American, “Peter” came back to within 19” seconds of the Hummer at CP5 before Gordon put into play the full power of his orange monster over the last 80 kilometres and in particular the infernal final 32%-gradient descent to Iquique. At the end of the day, victory went to Gordon, his 5th stage win on the Dakar, enabling him to get back to within 5'58” of the green Mini in the general standings.

On four wheels, the situation also seems to be heading for a duel, since the 3rd placed finisher on the day, Nani Roma, clocked in more the 8 minutes behind! Taking advantage of a minor crash by Holowzcyc in the last few kilometres, the Spaniard cut the Polish driver's lead in the general standings over him in half. Holowzcyc is still 3rd, but is now only 2'37” ahead of the winner of the Dakar 2004 in the bike category.

In particular, this 9th stage witnessed the exit from the race of title holder Nasser Al-Attiyah! Once again let down by problems with his engine and alternator drive belts, the Qatari finally decided to drop out after 200 km of the day's special stage, leaving Gordon alone against the armada of Minis."

I'm guessing this means that Nasser is truly out....

Wave a carrot and will Hansel might take the bait and break. Very exciting race I love it. Robby strength to you guys 1 second at a time. Huntington Beach strong.

After reading Robby "quotes" I think half of it is intox. He wants Stephane to believe that when he (Robby) is at the maximum, Stephane is not losing much ground. So Stephane will be satisfied to keep a small lead to the last stage or couple of stages. Then, in this last stage Robby will have a buffer of a couple of minutes because when actually going at the max speed it can take a couple of extra minutes, and Stephane will not be to do anything to counter that.
I base that on the times Nasser was achieving (albeit taking a lot of risks).

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service