Join in here and discuss all the weekend action for the 2011 Daytona 500 cup race. Robby Gordon will drive the #7 SPEED Energy/ TBA/ DODGE.The team is locked in for the first 5 races of the season, & will run a limited schedule after Bristol.Here is the 2 week schedule for RGM at the Florida Track.

SATURDAY , FEBRUARY 12th

Practice             11:00am - 1:00pm/et   ( 41st Quickest )
 Practice               2:00pm - 3:45pm/et   ( 40th Quickest )

Practice Live Leaderboard

SUNDAY , FEBRUARY  13th

Qualifying             1:00pm - 4:00pm/et   ( 19th DUEL #2 )    

WEDNESDAY , FEBRUARY 16th

Practice              10:40am - 12:00pm/et  ( 32nd Quickest )
 Practice                1:30pm -  2:50pm/et  ( 23rd Quickest  )

THURSDAY , FEBRUARY  17th

DUEL 150's            2:00pm - 6:00pm/et   ( Finished 17th)

FRIDAY , FEBRUARY  18th

Practice             11:00am - 12:00pm/et   ( DNP )
 Practice             12:30pm -  1:55pm/et    ( DNP ) 

SATURDAY , FEBRUARY  19th

Happy Hour         10:30am - 12:00pm/et   ( 4th Quickest )

SUNDAY , FEBRUARY  20th

RACEDAY             1:00pm - 5:00pm/et   ( TV - FOX )   

Dont forget live raceday chat will be available & live track updates via  PLANETROBBY TWITTER

Robby Gordon DAYTONA  500  Top 5 F.A.Q.

1) Souvenir trailer ?
                                                                                No
                                                                            2) Who is the crew chief ?
                                                                                Steven 'Bones' Lane
                                                                            3) Who is the sponsor ?
                                                                                SPEED ENERGY & HARRIS TEETER
                                                                            4) What is the new car make ?
                                                                                DODGE / Penske Motors
                                                                            5) Anything else new for 2011 ?
                                                                                Yes ! stay Tuned!

2010 Daytona Images

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

With the way these cars are set to run in pairs (if NASCARs fix don't work) you will get your ass handed to you if you try to ride around in the back until 20 to go. You are going to have to find a butt buddy from start to finish. If you screw your partner half way through the race you will not win.
There's sure to be an ugly ducking around the front that doesn't otherwise have any friends that RG could work with.
NASCAR listens to Fly

From Jayskis:
•NASCAR Tweaks rules to limit drafting: NASCAR officials announced two technical changes Sunday evening aimed at preventing the sustained two-car drafts that dominated Saturday night's Budweiser Shootout at Daytona. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president of competition, said the body issued a bulletin to race teams with the following specifications:
" The maximum size for the air inlet for the cooling system will be 2½ inches tall by 20 inches wide.
" The pressure release valve on the water system will be set at 33 pounds per square inch.
The intent is to set up the cars so they can't push each other in two-car tandems for extended runs without overheating. Teams try to line up drafting partners at Daytona and Talladega so they can overcome the limitations of the restrictor plates used to keep speeds down at those two tracks. "That will bring down the temperatures so the teams can't run at 290 or 300 degrees [without overheating] on the extended push of 30 or 40 laps," Pemberton said. "This will put [the water temperature in the engines] back in the 250-degree range." Several drivers, crew chiefs and team executives expected NASCAR to control the pressure relief valve. Jamie McMurray, who finished second to Kurt Busch in the Shootout, said many cars had valves that allowed the temperature up to 300 degrees before boiling over. That allowed the second car in the two-car draft to push longer without overheating -- some for more than a dozen laps -- under Saturday's cooler outdoor temperatures. The weather is expected to be warmer for Thursday's qualifying races and the Daytona 500.(see full story at ESPN.com)(2-13-2011)
so, wtf changed that no more than 2 cars could push each other to the front like on last year when 3, 4 or more where drafting without a problem,. so, wth happend?
They bumped the coolant pop off up past 30psi... every lb of pressure over 14psi @ sealevel is approx 5 degrees F. Water boils @ 212f @ sea level. This is why they could stay pinned together for so long.

And... this is a result of an aero package that takes the air from the front car and puts it on the roof of the second car. A third car will catch that air from the rear of the second car in the hood slowing it and also creating a vacuum between the third car's front bumper and the second car's rear bumper causing major drag..
I thought it was more like 3 deg/psi but anyway according to a chart it should blowoff around 275 or so. Does NASCAR have to run plain water without additives? I would imagine this is true but I do not know. Some organizations we race with require plain water others allow anything including antifreeze.

matt
It's not a linear formula... it's between 3 and 5 degrees per psi. that is why I said "Approx 5"
What it amounts to is guys knowing they can draft in 2s' for X amount of laps. Those X amount of laps are coming at the end of the race. I see a big mess. As stated .........................
Yeah both the spotters (and drivers) need to be on top of the fact that they need room for a car twice as long.
So if a competitor wants to slow down a two car draft so his teammate can catch up,he needs to make it a three or four or five car draft?So now you can essentially slow down a faster pair by making it a trio or greater!
That's what happened in the shootout. But who wants to slow down? Maybe a third guy on a team with his teammates in a two car pack for the lead?

Nobody wants to slow down.
my theory is that these cars need to be practically touching to draft and don't stay together very well (not much suck up) so the guy in front has to use a lot of brake or be down on HP a little (I'm afraid that's what made KB so good) I'll bet if you could get 3 cars to stay together they would be just as fast or faster. As much as I don't like restrictor plates I think a smaller rp or a taller gear would be a better solution than forcing the cars to overheat.

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service