In one of the most anticipated Daytona 500's ever, predicting a winner will be harder than ever. Looking through the field:

Danica Patrick will make her first Daytona 500 after winning the Busch race for JR Motorsports. Danica qualified inside the Top 20 and her Godaddy.com Chevy was among the fastest in drafting practice. Danica's owner, Dale Earnhardt Jr, paced final practice and looks very poised after making last years Chase and finishing 3rd overall.
The team that has become the talk of Speedweek is Stewart Haas Racing. Kevin Harvick driving for SHR proved he was back by winning the shootout, while team mate/owner Tony Stewart pushed him to victory lane. Brad Keselowski, Justin Allgaier and Kurt Busch with new team mate Elliott Sadler have Penske Racing back among the elite as all 4 cars qualified in the Top 15 Joey Logano continues to have issues after blowing an engine in the Shootout and crashing his primary car in Happy Hour.

The dark horse could be car owner/driver Robby Gordon. Gordon merged his operation with previous car-owner Richard Childress over the winter. After Harvick bolted for SHR and Burton announced this will be his final season, Childress and Gordon agreed to merge their organizations and resources. The results have been stellar so far. Robby Gordon qualified 8th and was among the Top 5 in every practice. "Our Robby Gordon Motorsports w/ Richard Childress Racing #7 Monster Energy Chevy has been very strong. The RCR boys have built us a fast motor and our guys back at the shop have it dialed in. I look for sunday to be a very good day for us. I'm excited to be teaming up with Richard again. He's one of the best in the business. I'm excited to have teammates like Clint, Jeff & rookie Austin Dillion. After winning the 2010 Dakar race with Chevy and now being among the Cup elite with RGM/RCR, it's been worth the journey."

Richard Petty Motorsports took a hit as rookie Colin Braun blew an engine and took out his car along with team mate Kasey Khane in Happy Hour. Both will have to start from the tail end of the field on Sunday in back up cars.

Other notes:

Jimmie Johnson will go for his 6th straight Championship after winning The Chase in 2010.
Steven Wallace qualified 16th in his debut for RWI in their first Daytona 500.
Jamie McMurray qualified 21st in the #09 driving for James Finch
Bobby Labonte used a Champions Provisional to make the field in the #78 Furniture Row Chevy.

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are sooo off the mark. McMurray is not good enough to drive for James Finch.
LOL!!! Enjoyed this, but I hope Harvick stays with RCR.

RSS

Newest Members

Save The Planet!

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service