Charlotte, N.C. (September 21, 2009) – Robby Gordon returned to the seat of the No. 7 Toyota Camry this weekend at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Gordon was absent from the Richmond festivities as he continued his quest for the 2009 SCORE Desert Series points championship, bringing home the SCORE Terrible’s Primm 300 win and advancing his points lead.

After a victorious weekend at Primm, Gordon immediately shifted his focus to the race at Loudon and the team’s first race of the season with Sylvania as primary sponsor. They headed north determined to have a strong run where Sylvania was also the title sponsor.

Gordon started the race in the 28th position, but quickly called in to his crew to report challenges with the handling of the No. 7 Sylvania Camry. The car lacked the side bite it needed, and the loose condition slowed Gordon as he traveled through the tight turns on the flat 1-mile oval.

The Sylvania crew used several early caution periods to make a series of adjustments to help improve the handling on the No. 7 Camry. Unfortunately, the team was not able to perfect the handling before Gordon lost a lap on Lap 127. Gordon was able to retain his track position near the leaders, enabling him to claim the Lucky Dog award during the third caution period on Lap 141. As a result, he returned to the lead lap.

The crew continued to make changes to the No. 7 Sylvania Camry during subsequent caution periods. Gordon continued to report a chatter in the rear tires while driving through the center of the turns. The chatter caused his car to get sideways and delayed Gordon’s return to power coming off the turns. As the team continued to make changes the car seemed to get better during long runs, but Gordon still had a hard time getting the car dialed in following restarts.

A six-car incident on the backstretch on Lap 167 found Gordon turned from behind as part of the chain reaction. Fortunately, he was able to avoid any substantial damage to his Camry. The crew made minimal repairs to the left side of Gordon’s Camry to avoid any tire rubs and sent Gordon back out on track.

Following their final stop of the day on Lap 268, Gordon was turning his fastest laps of the day in the No. 7 Sylvania Camry. The team had a lot of ground to make up since they lost a lap to the leaders during the ongoing green-flag pit stops. With just six laps left in the 300-lap event, an on-track incident caused the caution flag to fall and allowed Gordon to return to the lead lap of competition. By the time the checkered flag fell, Gordon was scored in the 24th position on the lead lap.

“Today was definitely a frustrating day,” said Gordon. “We couldn’t figure out what was causing the tire chatter that I was experiencing throughout the turns. The guys made a variety of changes and did their best to fix the problem, but unfortunately nothing worked. At least we can use this weekend to learn a little more about our cars; we’ll take the car back to the shop and work on it until we diagnose the problem. Everyone did a good job staying with the car all day and doing their best to fix the problem. I appreciate everything that Sylvania did for us this weekend, and I am disappointed that we couldn’t bring home a stronger finish for them in their first race with Robby Gordon Motorsports.”

Next weekend, the Race for the Chase will continue at Dover International Speedway. ABC will carry a live television broadcast of the race beginning at 1:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, September 27. Live radio coverage can be heard on MRN or Sirius Satellite Radio starting at 1:15 p.m. EST. Fans can also watch qualifying for the AAA 400, which will be broadcast on SPEED Channel beginning at 3:00 p.m. EST on Friday, September 25.

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, now what is the passing before the flag rule? can you still pass on the outside before the flagstand? If not then the 20 got the earlier LD in error.
I thought I remembered this correctly:

Then, #2-Kurt Busch's crew chief Pat Tryson wondered about the scenario that occurred in Friday night's Nationwide Series race, when Carl Edwards illegally passed Brian Vickers on the outside before the start/finish line but gave the spot back and was not penalized."I'd stress to you drivers that you're good enough that you shouldn't be getting yourself in that position - stay in line until you cross the start/finish line," Hoots said. Hoots then said that NASCAR officials let drivers figure it out for the first six races, but that they should have the restart procedures down by now. #24- Jeff Gordon to ask Hoots if there was a "grace period" for making mistakes like Edwards did in the Nationwide race. "The grace period is over," Hoots said. "We're serious about it tonight
thanks.
The team may be running crappy cars, but they have 2 top 25 finishes in a row. They need another good finish at Dover to keep the momentum going.
Hey guys, lets stop calling 25th a good finish. I'm a big RG fan but each week 35-37 competitive cars run. A blown motor here, an accident there, voila! - top 25. "It is what it is" - 25th is really 35th. I'm just sayin....
lead lap finish, good day for getting caught up in a wreck. looks like mears lost jack daniels, the sour mash industry must be tired of nascar.
We don't know JB is going away. Merely rumors. Jack Daniels for sure but hoping the rumor mill got the two confused.
This is funny: INNER MONOLOGUE OF A.J. ALLMENDINGER DURING THE LAST LAP OF THE SYL...

Damn! Spun out with one lap to go. Nice luck. I guess NASCAR will throw the caution here. Sure would like that one back. Dinger, you’re better than this! Man, Robby Gordon’s going to beat me today. Robby Gordon? The guy skipped Richmond to race cacti in the desert....

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service