RGM didn't have a great year, but will still be locked into the first 5 races of the season which is extremely hard to get into if you miss one of those first 5 races. That was not the reason for my title though, NASCAR has ruined Cup racing and notice is being served. Track attendence is down, TV ratings are down, sponsorship is down and fan interest is dropping too.

The COT was suppose to help in safety, lower costs and level the playing field. So far safety is the winner. Lowering costs and level playing field aren't living up to the billing. The COT is a heavy car that's hard to turn and nearly impossible to find a solid set up. The car can swing from loose to tight or vice versa with the slightest adjustment, making races a long day for both drivers & crew chiefs.

Nascar has made two improvements with double file restarts and next season's unified start times, but the biggest issue Nscar has will be the hardest two items to address: Leveling the playing field and tracks. Hendrick's dominance has gotten out-of-hand. It's expected to be competitive with it's driver line up, but the dominance it has on the COT is a bit much. Nascar needs to find a way where 43 cars have a chance to win on sunday, not just a few. Then, there's the track issue...how many boring races can one season have? Too many this year! Nascar booted great tracks like Rockingham and North Wilksboro to race in larger markets, but the excitement that made those larger markets interested is fading. Even one of Nascar's most exciting races was an embarassing dissappointment when cars played folow the leader in single file at Talladega, again another product of the horrible COT. Nascar needs to build or locate better tracks. Build another Bristol or plate track, but please no more cookie cutters!
The COT needs an over-haul too! Loose the stupid wing and splitter. The car has proven it's safety works (just ask Michael McDowell), but put the spoiler back. Testing ban helped teams save money, but it didn't close the gap in competition. The way to close the gap is money. Nascar served notice and capped teams to 4 teams (Exempt are Hendrick & Stewart-Hass racing), but now they need to cap the teams individually. Set a dollar amout $6 - $10 million per team and $30 per organization. It wouldn't take long before the Top 35 rule would be a huge benefit again.

Doubt any of these common sense suggestions will ever come true, but something needs to change because 2009 was a terrible season.

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with some of the points you make. I do agree that the COT needs some adjustments. I also agree there are too many races, but its all about MONEY.

Bottom line is, no matter what NASCAR does the teams with more money will perform better. In racing, money ='s speed. Robby dug his own hole by leaving a "major" NASCAR team and starting his own venture. I commend him for that, he is the underdog. That said, he is an undedog and you can't expect him to compete weekly with the Hendrick cars becase he just doesn't have the money or the resources. The COT killed RGM because he just can't catch up to the bigger teams. When Robby discovers something better about the COT most of the bigger teams are 3 of 4 steps ahead. This is because they have more money, and more cars on the track.

Not sure how long you have been a NASCAR fan, but I am pretty sure back in the old days many races ended with 10 or fewer cars on the lead lap.
NASCAR hasn't been interesting since 2001.

the racing sucks
the cot sucks
the chase format sucks
robby's team might meet its demise
debris cautions really really sucks
marty reid and jerry punch are unbearable
the race coverage sucks
Digger (need I say more?)
Nationwide and Truck series also sucks

I don't even know why I bothered to watch this year, 2010 won't be much better. Have fun with Danica Mania part 2
I agree except you forgot DW and thet goofy ass basketball guy...
The COT and the Chase have given us 4 years of Jimmy Johnson dominance. I don't know how much more the sport can take. Something has to change, or I'm going to be an ex-Nascar fan.
Scott - Been a fan for about 30 years, when I 10 years old you could go down to pit row after a race and talk to the drivers. Bobby Allison let me climb in his car and ride to the hauler with him, I know I'm aging myself, but that was when racing was great!

Today it's all about the Hollywood Hotel, The Home Depot Race Day, Digger and anything that makes the cash register ring.
Not arguing this. Just saying I disagreed with your "all 43 cars should have a chance to win" comment. It has never been like that, and never will.
You missed a solid race on a good race track.
It wasn't the best season for RGM - but I think focusing on the SCORE championship did divert some attention and energy from the NASCAR efforts. But totally worth it!!!

As far as the season overall, well.. I do agree that it doesn't seem like they are really racing for the win. I would like to see the extra points for leading a lap and leading the most laps done away with and have them ranked based on their average finish. This might keep them from being so conservative in the races and recognizes that the difference between a 1st and a 2nd is not as much as the current points system prescribes. Many, not all, of the races were kind of boring this year - a product of the larger tracks I think in combination with the COT. Would be nice to see them run different configuration on the road courses (the COTs are like clunky tanks on those courses) and the plate tracks (which have been ruined with the COT, yellow lines, and the plates). At least the truck races are still interesting :-)

RSS

© 2024   Created by TOG.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service